Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Question Making a digital connection from a DAT player to my 003

I am attempting to plug my DAT player to my 003 but I can't seem to get them to connect digitally. Does anyone know if this is a compatibility issue? Do the 003's read what I'm guessing is TOSLINK format (as opposed to ADAT)? My DAT player is from 1993. Has spdif in, but not out. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Making a digital connection from a DAT player to my 003

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot003 View Post
I am attempting to plug my DAT player to my 003 but I can't seem to get them to connect digitally. Does anyone know if this is a compatibility issue? Do the 003's read what I'm guessing is TOSLINK format (as opposed to ADAT)? My DAT player is from 1993. Has spdif in, but not out. Can anyone help? Thanks
Nothing helps like a clear description.

What exact model DAT?

Are you trying to record to or play back from the DAT or both?

S/PDIF is a protocol that can run over coaxial copper or TOSLINK optical cables. So the DAT has RCA/coaxial S/PDIF inputs? or TOSLINK S/PDIF inputs?

ADAT is a protocol that can run on TOSLINK (but not copper coaxial). Its not TOSLINK *or* ADAT, they are different layers of the cake.

Darryl
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Hi Darryl, thanks for your reply. It's a Sony DTC-690. It makes no mention in the manual about s/pdif nor toslink. It refers to a "coaxial in" for a digital input, citing the cables VMC-1Es and VMC-10ES. Then for only for "optical in/out," which it suggests cables POC-15 and POC-10HS. On the front panel I can switch between optical and coaxial input. I mostly need this for output though so I'm stuck with only the optical out for some reason. I tried switching the 003 from adat to s/pdif but couldn't get it to sync.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Darryl, thanks for your reply. It's a Sony DTC-690. It makes no mention in the manual about s/pdif nor toslink. It refers to a "coaxial in" for a digital input, citing the cables VMC-1Es and VMC-10ES. Then for only for "optical in/out," which it suggests cables POC-15 and POC-10HS. On the front panel I can switch between optical and coaxial input. I mostly need this for output though so I'm stuck with only the optical out for some reason. I tried switching the 003 from adat to s/pdif but couldn't get it to sync.
"Coaxial" in is RCA/copper coaxial, its always goign to be running S/PDIF on consumer electronics.

So from photos on the web of the rear panel of this DAT player, you have:

Coaxial/rca S/PDIF in
TOSLINK S/PDIF in
TOSLINK S/PDIF out

So if you want output. You need to use the TOSLINK out as you said. Use any standard TOSLINK cable, does not need to be a Sony part. Make sure the connectors are seated all the way in at both ends of the cable (a common problem with TOSLINK). Connect to the TOSLINK-in (labeled "optical in" - maybe because TOSLINK is a trademark) on the 003. Set that input to S/PDIF (not ADAT) and set the 003 to clock from the TOSLINK. Look up clocking in the 003 manual if you need to.

Put a DAT with something recorded on it in the DAT drive and press play and you should get signal at the 003 TOSLINK input (you need to create an audio track and assign it to that input etc., standard Pro Tools stuff). You should see the meters move on the DAT player as it plays content (and/or check with headphones connected to the DAT). Try a different TOSLINK cable if you have problems.

Darryl
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Well I'll be damned. It played back no problem. Any idea why the optical digital output works but not input? I definitely don't need input, I just don't get why I can't get it to record.

Also I was getting clicks when I had my DAW match the resolution at 48k. When I bumped it to 96k they went away. Is there a simple explanation for that?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well I'll be damned. It played back no problem. Any idea why the optical digital output works but not input? I definitely don't need input, I just don't get why I can't get it to record.

Also I was getting clicks when I had my DAW match the resolution at 48k. When I bumped it to 96k they went away. Is there a simple explanation for that?
/snip/
Ah your sample rates need to match. Clicking is usually a sign that you do not have clocking properly set up. Read the 003 manual.

To use the optical input you need the cable connected to the optical output on your 003. make sure the sample rates are set properly, you will need to rad the DAT player manual for things like clock rates, long play modes etc. I'd set it to 48kHz and set the 003 interface/session to the same rate. You wont' hurt anything, just trying until it works.

You need to make sure there is a signal going to that optical output from Pro Tools. You may need to set the 003 as the clock, or try leaving the current cable in place and see if the 003 will keep clocking from the DAT.

Darryl