Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Do I need a PreAmp before Fast Track Duo?

Hi!

I see people on youtube talking about having your guitar connected to a preamp then to the audio interface line input, then to DAW.

Should I do that? Isn't Fast Track Duo a sort of pre amp, it has gain for line input.

When I record my guitar now I don't notice anything wrong with the recording or that I should have a preamp in the chain, I think.

I guess I'm just confused.

Would like some input as to how to do it, if differently than how I do it now.

PS! I am fairly new to pro tools and DAWs.

Thank
Kjetil
Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Do I need a PreAmp before Fast Track Duo?

Hi, fellow countryman, and welcome to the DUC.

No, you don't need a extra preamp. The inputs on the front of your Fast Track are combined mic/line inputs, and should handle most any signal you put there.

Just a friendly advice: I think you'll find the DUC a very useful resource as you get more into recording and Pro Tools. But to get the best help, we need good anfo about your system. Perhaps start by creating a signature so that when you post next time, we can easily see what hardware you use, PT/OS versions etc.

And have a look thru here:
Help Us Help You
Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 AM

And I recommend taking advantage of the many tutorials on the internet. Youtube has a ton of freebies, but some are better than others Groove 3(groove3.com) is a paid source, but the videos are really well done, and there's a free trial for 7 days. Everyone I know that has paid for that has been very pleased

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM

Thank you for your input :)

Kjetil
1TB SSD
Pro Tools 2020.x
Avid Fast Track Duo USB interface
Trillian
Ivory II Grand Pianos
Superior Drummer 2.0
Various Boss Stompboxes
Fender Stratocaster Ultra, 2020 Model
Ibanez RG421HPFM, 2020 Model
Ibanez RG Premium RG6PCMLTD, 2017 Model
Kramer 84 (Alder) Red, 2020 Model
Old 07-07-2020, 04:05 AM

Hey

If you care about good sound you should definitely get a good guitar preamp and there are soo much better interfaces than fasttrack now. Those converters cant take much signal what so ever and that will affect the sound.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-07-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey
If you care about good sound you should definitely get a good guitar preamp and there are soo much better interfaces than fasttrack now. Those converters cant take much signal what so ever and that will affect the sound.
What example of an interface are you thinking about (make and model)?

Also what kind of preamp (example)? And do I use line out on the preamp to the usb interface?

By the way is this what is called gain staging?

I'm new to this so please forgive my lack of knowledge. :)

Kjetil
1TB SSD
Pro Tools 2020.x
Trillian
Ivory II Grand Pianos
Superior Drummer 2.0
Various Boss Stompboxes
Old 07-07-2020, 08:13 AM

OK you added electric guitars to your signature so we know you are talking about that, not say recording acoustic guitars.

Your interface has a preamp, otherwise you could not plug in a microphone (or electric guitar) to it, and the preamp gain knobs are another giveaway. If you read the manual for your interface it will mention the preamp and instrument inputs.

I'm going to disagree with Christopher here. I doubt buying a higher end interface is likely to help you now. Instead spending time understanding stuff is likely to help you more, and then you'll have more chance of working out if more gear will help you or not. You should read up on what a preamp does and what DI (direct input/direct injection) is and why it's needed--your interface has a simple version of that in it's "instrument input". As well as lots of stuff on recording and mixing guitars.

Try starting with a book on audio recording, maybe https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Eng.../dp/B01MY9ZP2W

And so far this is only touching on recording dry guitar. There is a lot more you can record with electric guitar, including:

amplifier/cabinet output with a microphone (or multiple microphones)
amplifier output through a built in a line out/cabinet eliminator
amplifier output through a cabinet eliminator box like a UAD Ox
the output of an amp simulator processor like an Eleven Rack or AxeFX
Any of the above with reamping the dry guitar signal from your DAW.

Now while your interface is not fancy, it's not clear that a higher end one will help you now, and if you are recording dry guitar to process through an amp sim plugin with distortion then the preamp does not make as much difference as in other uses (vocals, acoustic guitar etc). If you mostly work with guitar you might consider an AxeFX or cheap used Eleven Rack before other stuff. Or if you have hum/noise problems with recording look at a DI box. If you want to spend money you can easily spend thousands of dollars on an interface, or many thousands of dollars on preamps and DI boxes and it may make no real improvement for you.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-07-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 AM

Darryl has some good points.

I'd like to add; to be able to hear the difference between a notsogood and a better interface you need good monitoring or at least very good headphones, and a decent sounding room. How do you listen to stuff?

And what about guitar cabinets, microphones?

So-called "gain staging" is nothing more than the taking care not to overdrive the different stages in a signal path, while keeping a good level to avoid the so called "noise floor".
Old 07-07-2020, 09:23 AM

OK, thanks Darryl and Ben.

I record my guitar either clean, or through a stomp box through the usb interface and into pro tools. I have not noticed any noise at all. I beef up the gain on the usb interface so that the vu level is around 18vu. Then I add effects through inserts like chorus reverb delay etc. Whatever I have that makes it sound better in my ears.

I have a master fader and I use maxim to set the overall vu of the song or clip. And that's basically all I know how to do. I don't know how to do mastering. I bounce the master fader to wav and mp3. I am happy with the sound quality for now, but it can always become better.

I have a medium quality headset but no studio speakers or anything like that. So I'm sure it won't sound good in all environments. I'm not a professional sound engineer or producer so it's one step at a time so far.
1TB SSD
Pro Tools 2020.x
Trillian
Ivory II Grand Pianos
Superior Drummer 2.0
Various Boss Stompboxes
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 AM

It sounds like you're OK where you are, for a starting point. The question I think is how do you prioritize going forward, and that depends of course on you and what you would like to do.

I'd say: Start with Darryls advice and find a good book about audio recording, or watch some videos (but beware, there are alot of amateurs on youtube that can sometimes confuse more than enlight.

Then, I would say the first investment you should consider is a pair of active monitors, and get out of those headphones. Even some inexpensive monitors let you listen better and make better decisions, IMO.