Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-06-2020, 05:54 PM

Default recording remotely

What is the best way to record a singer who is NOT IN MY STUDIO? Is it best to have singer "screen share" her mac to me? And maybe use the LISTENTO plug into hear real time audio.

I want to engineer from my studio while she is singing in her house.

COVIDISSUES
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 PM

Default Re: recording remotely

Cloud Collaboration. Of course it means your singer needs to have PT installed not to mention a microphone something else than the macbook builtin
Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 PM

OK, here's my suggestion... Logic Pro X is free right now for 90 days.

Download it, install it on your computer.

Configure it with a routing template that allows it to receive a stereo mix from a ListenTo (recieve) plugin, with a send going to the left side of a stereo bus.

Set up an audio channel on input with the vocal mic, with a send to a reverb, and a prefader send to the right side of a stereo bus.

Set up a stereo aux that receives that stereo bus and has a ListenTo (transmit) plug in going back to you.

Get it all set up, test it, make sure it works, and then send the template session to your artist, including talking them through downloading and installing Logic Pro X and the ListenTo plugin, and then run the session from your end.

You can have them hit record on the vocal channel and just leave it rolling for the entire session as a backup...

Last edited by Mixchump; 04-06-2020 at 08:37 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-07-2020, 12:21 PM

What kind of quality are you looking for coming back from the singer? Cleanfeed or ConnectionOpen or ipDTL will give you decent audio both ways. The problem will be routing into and out of a Chromium browser and what the room and equipment is like at your singer's place.

Google's Chrome has been what is recommended by the above, but Microsoft's new Edge browser (OS X or Windows) works as well and without extensions. Personally I've gotten it to work with Source-Connect Now, Skype and Zoom, which to me, indicates any of the browser based audio applications will work too.
Source-Connect: brucehayward