Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 05:35 AM

Default Please help- Weird PT issue

Last night, I was working on a rap project. There we're 11 plug ins operating and everything was working fine. (This isn't many on my system- System monitor barely showing a dent) I'm running a P4 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM. The session went flawlessly until I attempted a bounce. It worked fine until about 10 seconds before the song ended- then it told me it ran out of CPU power (You know- the error message we've all become too familiar with....). I tried again, and even after a reboot and the same problem kept happening in the same place. Surprisingly enough- the spot in the song where it stops has the least amount of processing going on in the whole project. I tried just mixing to a DAT with regular playback- then it kept hapening at the same spot.

It appears to work fine in short bursts- but long playback seems to be the problem. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening? Please help?!?
Old 10-23-2001, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Please help- Weird PT issue

This happened once to me last week. I had several plugins going. Something struck me to remove just the DVerb plugin from my Aux track and then restore it. That did the trick.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:55 AM

Why D-Verb? I wasn't using it. Anything else you can think of?
Old 10-23-2001, 01:09 PM

Already got the computer set up for max performance. But, I'll give the plugin reassignment thing another try tonight. Hope that works. Thanks for the idea. I'll update ya in a few hrs.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2001, 03:37 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! IT WORKED! Just closed all of the plug ins, then opened them back up- and the bounce worked just fine. Interesting though- must be a PT bug of some sort.

Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2001, 06:46 PM

coolness........
Old 10-24-2001, 12:27 AM

nqMike,

I don't want to frustrate you even more, but you might, MIGHT try 7's idea with each plugin you're using. In other words, try taking out, and then reassigning, ALL the plugins you're using.

Reason being, even though you're not using DVerb, if it worked for Darren, it could possibly be another plugin glitch that's causing your prob.

And, instead of trying one plugin at a time, and trying to 'Bounce' over and over, reassign 'em all at once, and THEN try to bounce.

It IS weird that there's hardly any plugin activity at that bad spot(and MAYBE that sudden change is part of the prob, I don't know).

But, I'de like to see you get it resolved, so maybe you should just try it. Let us know if you do and what happens.....

Roy
Old 10-24-2001, 12:36 AM

nqMike:

I had a similar issue happen while attempting to bounce to disk as well. However, I was using a lot of plugins and such....

I read in the Pro Tools book that there are three things you can do to increase performance.

First: Go to Setups and choose hardware. Click on CPU Usage Limit percentage and a list of values will appear. Choose 85% for the most power.

Second:GO to Setups again and choose Hardware Buffer Size. When recording, you usually want a lower setting (128 or 256) however, when mixing down, you want to increase it to 512 or 1024.

Thirdly: I usually set the DAE playback buffer size to the highest seting (8).

Hope this helps...
WD 120 GB (Loops/BFD)
External FW 120 (PT Audio)
3.0 GB Ram
DIGI 002