Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Pro tools needs some Improvements

Why is the crossfading in pro tools so tedious? I mean Would it not be better if the regions where virtual and i could adjust the crossfades size and placement with a handle bar in real time on the edit screen with out all the guessing and undoing. I mean sure u can get it good but it takes along time to get it perfect.

Also What about some volume handle bars on the region in the edit screen? Going to the audio suite gain and then guessing what volume you want is not very effeciant. and since LE is in 32 bit float please let me gain the audio infinately.

How about a graphical lock feature on the region that can be simply clicked to lock and unlcok the region in place.

Give me these features and few more and i will go from a disgrunteld to a happy PT user.

Regards

Xbuk
Old 03-18-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Pro tools needs some Improvements

I think you need to go through the manual a little deeper, or skim through a third-party ProTools book.
Some of the things you mention leave me clueless as to what exactly you're trying to do.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:38 AM

Crossfading is not tedious. Highlight the area of your two regions that you would like to be crossfaded, then go to the edit menu and choose Create Fade, or use ctrl+f on PC, cmd+f on mac. Will pop up the fades window, allow you to make the settings you want, then fade. You can then use the trimmer tool to adjust the boundaries or edges of just the fade, in real-time, in the edit window.

To view a graphical representation of volume for each track or playlist, simply click where it says waveform and choose volume from the list of possible views. You will now see a line within track in the edit window. You can add handles wherever you like and control the volume quite precisely.

Not sure if this gets you going in the right direction, but it sounds to me like what you want is there, you just may not be looking in the right places.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,
Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 AM

Locking a region is as easy as selecting it and pressing Ctrl+L

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-18-2005, 09:15 AM

asa, you can change views by holding ctrl+alt and clicking the control. for example, ctrl+alt, click on fader to display fader automation. ctrl+alt, click on track name to return to waveform view. same goes for pan, sends, most automated plug-in features, etc.

another good one: ctrl+start+alt, click on plug-in function to enable automation for the function. this does not work with all third party plug-ins but most of them it does.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:10 AM

I would find it most usefull if I could see more than one automation per track at the same time. That is: I 'd really like to see where a volume automation starts and stops while also seeing and editing a pan automation in the same track. Simultaniously. Or any other automation views... I know I can set up markers, but it would be so smooth to just be able to see what's going on. Perhaps different colors for different automation functions.
digi, are you listening?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Crossfading is not tedious. Highlight the area of your two regions that you would like to be crossfaded, then go to the edit menu and choose Create Fade, or use ctrl+f on PC, cmd+f on mac. Will pop up the fades window, allow you to make the settings you want, then fade. You can then use the trimmer tool to adjust the boundaries or edges of just the fade, in real-time, in the edit window.

-----------Xbuk replys
Thank you for your reply. The fading system is better than I orginaly thought. I still see away it could be improved. When i try to grab the fade and move it it says "can not move fade with out its contributing regions". This is annoying that i must go to each end of the fade and slide them over. This causes constant re-adjusting of the fade size. It would be nice to be able to set the fade size then slide it up and down the region along with the current ablity to adjust the size. Next the most annoying of all is the little clicks I get after every punch. I would like to see a selection in the operations menu to automaticly create fades after a punch or moving something on the grid. the combination of both things i have mentioned would make the program alot more stream lined.
----------

To view a graphical representation of volume for each track or playlist, simply click where it says waveform and choose volume from the list of possible views. You will now see a line within track in the edit window. You can add handles wherever you like and control the volume quite precisely.

--------Xbuk replys
Yes. This is nice. But I would like the wave graphic to refresh to the the new DB volume selection. And I would also like to be able to adjust the audio Higher than 6 db. Maybe it is posible but I have not figure it out yet.
-------

Not sure if this gets you going in the right direction, but it sounds to me like what you want is there, you just may not be looking in the right places.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

------- Xbuk replys
You seem very knowledegeable And You have shown me things I wasnt aware of thank you.

Regards

Xbuk
Old 03-19-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
And I would also like to be able to adjust the audio Higher than 6 db. Maybe it is posible but I have not figure it out yet.
are you talking about the fader level by 6db or are you talking about the trim plugin by 6db?

because if your talking about the trim plugin instead of using the trim plug use a compressor
and set the ratio to 1:1 and set the Threshold to 0 and you can use the Gain on the compressor
and that goes up to like 24-30db,

also if you need to raise the volume by more than 6db then you are tracking poorly.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:52 PM

I would like it to take out the trash and wash my car too.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 03-18-2005, 07:03 AM

try the smart tool. it combines all three primary editing functions into a tool whose function depends on it's location in and around a track. It function near region boundaries makes creating fades in the manner you stated easy.