Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Hardware firmware support plan?

Oh no!
Is this really serious?
A mandatory support plan for controllers as well?

They have to be kidding!

What else in my house needs a mandatory support plan from Avid?
My coffee grinder, fridge?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 AM

In the case of the S6, S3 and Artist series, you'll need the latest soft/firm ware version for it to work with the latest ProTools version. For example, you need Eucon 3.1.2 for PT11.2.1 up.

However, Artist support is on a different mechanism to ProTools, so how they'd link those two I don't know.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyssl View Post
Umm.. really?? Not sure where you've been hanging out but that is the backbone of PT12 - PAID SUPPORT FOR UPDATES! Same goes for their controllers. Here's a DIRECT QUOTE from the S6 forum from Avid's marketing guy:
-------------------
Hi Russ,

S-6 software updates* are provided only if you are on a support contract. Because we really started shipping consoles at the very end of 2013 and we are just over the one year mark from those first shipments, we have decided to let every S6 owner have v1.4 including the few who may be just over the year mark. However from this point, all owners will need to maintain support coverage on at minimum their MTM in order to continue to receive software updates*. This will give them not only the latest feature releases but also premium coverage for the most important component of their control surface, the MTM module and offering such services as advanced replacement in case of failure.

Thanks,
Tom
--------------------------

I am not the one projecting "negative bs" about Avid - they are doing a fine job of that themselves.

P.S. Here's a link to that post: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364258
To be clearer - A customer who is not current on the plan would be eligible for a bug fix update of the same version they are on. For instance - we have 1.4.1 coming out for the S6. Anyone who is on 1.4 would be eligible to receive that 'dot' update. Upgrades with new features will be available to those current on the support plan.

*My original post mentioned 'updates' but should have said 'upgrades' so this has been corrected. Sorry for this typo.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 03-11-2015, 10:53 AM

What a freakin' joke
Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
What a freakin' joke
Exactly.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:51 AM

Tom,

People are asking for hardware support plan as in "if I pay for hardware support for my current control surface for 10 years ahead, will you promise to deliver driver updates as long as I have the support plan alive"

This question comes from the Avid's decision to drop Pro Control and Control|24 support when PT11 was released. I don't want to go back to that discussion, but I'm just sayin' people who invest in hardware want to know about its lifespan.

It is not enough to offer support plan for PT software and interfaces that work with it. Anyone who spends thousands of dollars for a controller surface (basically a multi-function mouse as far as PT software is concerned) is currently very worried about how long that controller can actually be used. These are the folks that cannot write 100k down every three years... Myself included.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Hmmm....Interesting...

Pretty sure that I was the one that first mentioned the possibility of support plans for their hardware, about two months ago:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...82#post2221482

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM

So, now not only do I have to vig $599 a year for my software and AVID interface, I have to come up with some additional vig for my Mix and Transport?

And all I have to do is be patient a little while longer until AVID bequeaths me with their pricing on that too...
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Tom,
People are asking for hardware support plan as in "if I pay for hardware support for my current control surface for 10 years ahead, will you promise to deliver driver updates as long as I have the support plan alive"
It would be quite sour if you faithfully pay your support plan for years to find out your device was already "planned" to be declared obsolete while you were paying.

It is unclear to me btw if all HW devices will have their own support plan fees on top of the software support plan?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 AM

Avid,

I have upgraded my systems to HDX. Since those hardware purchases did NOT include your insane support plan I've grudgingly purchased one of those as well, with another when necessary. Just this week I've ordered an S6, knowing that from here on out I'll be paying a ransom, oops I mean handsom sum, to get features that are "coming" but not included in 1.4. Purchasing vaporware is very disturbing, but I have done it with my eyes open. I have a business to run and sometimes doing so requires spending money.

Avid, I have bought into your BS because I still have a certain amount of trust in you. I have taken a leap of faith that you will gather yourself together and keep your promises. You have a year to prove that my trust is well placed. If not, you can trust that I have an exit plan.