Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 PM

Default HD Native trade up slightly different than TDM trade up

Sweetwater has just posted the prices for the hardware exchanges to HDX:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXHD3-HDXom/

Click on "8 models to choose from".

HD Native trade up is a little more expensive than initially thought. If you're trading in a "blue" interface, it's $1000 more than the same deal from an HD1. So HDX with Omni is $8999, and with HD 8 x 8, it's $9999.

Note that there is also a straight exchange, minus interface, for $7499, that's not listed here (no old interface taken, no new one received).
Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Re: HD Native trade up slightly different than TDM trade up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Sweetwater has just posted the prices for the hardware exchanges to HDX:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXHD3-HDXom/

Click on "8 models to choose from".

HD Native trade up is a little more expensive than initially thought. If you're trading in a "blue" interface, it's $1000 more than the same deal from an HD1. So HDX with Omni is $8999, and with HD 8 x 8, it's $9999.

Note that there is also a straight exchange, minus interface, for $7499, that's not listed here (no old interface taken, no new one received).
Thanks nst but just curious I see on sweewater that if you just buy the card alone its only $6999.00 is that right? If so why is it $500.00 more?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM

because avids pricing is a mess
Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Anyone seriously considering it?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM

no way. 256 tracks will be plenty and Im looking at my rtas meter reading 24% right now.

I dont do tracking (tracking thru plugins) so why do I need that hdx?

What I need is not a $1000 freakin update. We all purchased into their new systems and they gave the people who updated to 9 after oct 1st 10hd for $350 and they are giving all the people who have cptk hd10 for $350.

How does this make any sense?

If I update to 10hd within the next 3 years I will need to purchase a avid i/o for an additional 5k

OR

I sell all this stuff and grab a cptk license and have cheap hd upgrades and a symphony i/o.

What does avid prefer?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
no way. 256 tracks will be plenty and Im looking at my rtas meter reading 24% right now.

I dont do tracking (tracking thru plugins) so why do I need that hdx?

What I need is not a $1000 freakin update. We all purchased into their new systems and they gave the people who updated to 9 after oct 1st 10hd for $350 and they are giving all the people who have cptk hd10 for $350.

How does this make any sense?

If I update to 10hd within the next 3 years I will need to purchase a avid i/o for an additional 5k

OR

I sell all this stuff and grab a cptk license and have cheap hd upgrades and a symphony i/o.

What does avid prefer?

If I were you, I'd probably stay where I was at. To be honest, I think you HD Native guys had it figured out awhile ago. Go with Native and upgrade to the most powerful computer you can afford. Your systems are current, will run on 64 bit when it's ready and are compatible with the new lineup of Avid interfaces. As a TDM user, my system is going the way of the dinosaur and the PT 10 upgrade won't even allow for all the features in HD 10 i.e. Super long ADC. The latter is a limitation of the TDM architecture on the Accel cards.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM

I dont care that they released new dsp stuff and I see the market need for that but this native card was just released last year. For them to just dump us after 1 year is not cool.

I'm not paying them $600 a year for support and I'm not paying them 1k every 1.5 years for a update. Something has got to give on this.

I'm sorry that avid doesn't make any money but thats not really my problem. Maybe they should be sold off to someone who will turn a profit without trying a money grab of 1k per installed system.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah, i'm not feeling this HDX $7999 thing.

No love for the HD Native guys. Avid could have made the Native Card the new core system and allow us to add DSP through an altered version of the HDX card....
Old 10-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Well we will have 256 tracks so thats all good. I dont need 768 audio voices. I will never need that. I could never keep track of that.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Well we will have 256 tracks so thats all good. I dont need 768 audio voices. I will never need that. I could never keep track of that.
I can't imagine anyone doing music production ever needing that many voices.