Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 PM

Default No Signal from UA Apollo Twin

I just bought a UA Apollo Twin, and when I plugged in my mic, I couldn't get a signal in PT. I notice on the input on the track I only have two options, "built-in microphone 1" and "built-in microphone 2" - I'd never noticed this before with my old interface (the 002 rack). I'm using Pt 11. Can someone tell me how I can get a signal?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:15 AM

Default Re: No Signal from UA Apollo Twin

Dude, you're a bit light on details about your set-up !! A couple of things to consider :

1. Have you selected the Twin in the Playback Engine? When you have, you should 'see' a number of options for track input including Analogue 1& 2, Virtual and Aux. "Built-in microphone" suggests that the playback device is something other than the Twin.
2. Reset the I/O using the default button.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 PM

My first guess is that you either did not install the drivers for your UA Apollo Twin interface or you installed the wrong drivers for your interface. Check on the UA website for the latest drivers for you OS and interface (being very careful to identify your exact interface).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 AM

One other thing - check that the clock source is set to internal (in Console). an incorrect setting has been known to cause this problem.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 PM

Thanks guys, I think I just didn't realize that one of the little buttons in the front of the Twin was for the phantom power. It worked when I tried that. However, now I'm trying to play a bass guitar through the front input and I'm having the same problem. The UA Twin is recognizing a signal, but not PT. Per your advice, I hit default and now have more mic input options as you say, but I tried all of them and none seem to work. Again, I'm using PT 11 with a UA Apollo Twin Duo. OS Yosemite.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 PM

Open up Console 2.0, Physically press the monitor button in Console and see if it will then pass audio to PT.

I encounter this bug in Console 2.0 every time I boot PT. Once it is working, it stays working until the next boot.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 AM

Toggle input Monitoring (alt K) on a rec enabled audio track. Make sure the track input is set to Analogue 1.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 PM

I tried both suggestions, neither works--touched the monitor knob in the UA Console and also tried to toggle (alt k). You mention my input should be analog 1, but my only options now are built-in mic, MIC Line 2, Virtual 1, 2, 3 and 4, Aux 1, 2, 3, and 4, S/PDIF R, S/PDIF L, and Mon L and R. This is so frustrating--all the YouTube videos on UA show the great sounds in UA, but nothing shows me how to just get a simple signal going so I can play the track!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:30 PM

Can anyone else on this forum offer me some advice? I'm really getting frustrated--UA has not replied to an email I sent, and I still can't seem to get a signal from my Apollo Twin to PT. I believe it has something to do with the fact that my input options on my tracks now are many, but none seems to work Built-in Mic 2, Mon L, Mon R, Virtual 1, Virtual 2, Virtual 3, Virtual 4, S/PDIF L, S/PDIF R, AUX 1 R, AUX 1 L, AUX 2 R, AUX 2 L. But I tried each of them and nothing works. This is also the configuration I see in my I/O Setup dropdown. To reiterate, I do see the signal going into the Apollo Twin, and the Twin is shown in all the setup options (hardware, playback engine, etc.). I even just upgraded to 11.3.1, but still, nothing. Can anybody offer any more advice?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Why is Built-In Mic etc. showing up if you are trying to use the Apollo Twin as an interface?

I know you have given some specs, but how about providing a clear precise description, in one post, of your setup that others have asked for here. If you keep complaining without doing that you will just get ignored. See the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and ever other DUC web page for the sort of information that is expected here.

Have you used Pro Tools much before? Has the Pro Tools install on this computer worked with any other interface? Does it work at least to playback prerecorded files if you select Built-In Output as a playback engine?

What install and getting started documentation are you following?

Make sure you have the latest appropriate Twin driver installed or your OS X and Pro Tools version. (and what exact version do you have installed on what exact OS X version?)

Make sure the UA Twin is selected as the playback engine in Pro Tools... do *not* use an aggregate IO device. Do not assume anything, you have to check exactly what is selected in Setup>Playback Engine

Start with a new empty session, not a copy of an old session, not from a template. Make sure you trying to record any microphones, guitar or bass DI etc. using mono audio (*not* instruments tracks) in Pro Tools. To get started at least do not check "session overwrites IO".

In Setup>IO>Input select the IO paths and click the Delete then Default button, do the same for the Output and Bus pages.

Try trashing prefs if there are still problems. Instructions under the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link up top of this web page.

Any more help needed here... provide clear exact details on your setup, OS X version, driver version, Pro Tools version, and attach screen shots of Setup>Playback Engine, Setup>IO>{Input|Output|Bus} pages, and include a screen shot of the mix window showing your tracks and their input and output assignments. And what options show up for each track input. And describe exactly what happens, do meters in Pro Tools tracks move?, etc.

UAD has good telephone support. If you are still stuck pick up the phone and call them.