Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

Default Windows Graphics Card

I recently upgraded PT to 10 HD (and have the path to 12) on a refurbed Dell T5510. The refurb came bare bones and I have been using the basic generic graphics card that came with as I build and test the system. I also have only 8g of RAM.

Ironically, the new Avid website no longer calls for specific graphic cards in Windows PC, only "dedicated" graphics card recommended.

So now I have a real project and have noticed frequent freezes and crashes as I open help files, click on menus and such.

So I wonder if this is a result of the cheap graphics card or RAM. Any ideas? This is a very small track count with little processing required (mostly editing), but there is video. And while we are on the subject, any graphic card recommendations for Windows that have proven to work well with PT? I would like to have at least two outputs, perhaps three if I upgrade to a separate screen for video.

Thanks in advance.

Media Man
Old 03-31-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Windows Graphics Card

Pny gt740 1gb
Is the absolute minimum if you plan to have UltraHD 4K some day in the future, without purchasing another video card...

Works well, driver version must be well selected...

Quadro k620 is a bit better, but needs a Dp to HDMI 4K adapter from startech.com does not have HDMI.

Medium price would be:
K2200
Gtx970

In Nvidia...

In AMD is another story...
Radeon r9 290x

High end range:
Gtx980ti, Titan X
Quadro M6000, M5000, M4000