Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Time to throw in the towel and re install.. need some advice, please.Advice on or

Sierra downloads:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

---

Again it seems that you are trying to solve some issue (not clear exactly what.... are they just GUI problems?) and you are doing that by planning on boiling the ocean and you have all these detailed plans on what to do.... including copying over prefs etc. which I would avoid doing at all, or at least, not until testing for problems before doing that. Corrupted prefs cause so many problems in Pro Tools.

If you have GUI problems I would be doing quick simple tests for that, throwing absolute minimal stuff on a test partition and seeing if GUI lag is still there or not. Treat that as an experiment not a boil the ocean reinstall of everything. ~1 hour investment in time to get a bare Pro Tools install running if you have stuff already downloaded.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Time to throw in the towel and re install.. need some advice, please.Advice on or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sierra downloads:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

---

Again it seems that you are trying to solve some issue (not clear exactly what.... are they just GUI problems?) and you are doing that by planning on boiling the ocean and you have all these detailed plans on what to do.... including copying over prefs etc. which I would avoid doing at all, or at least, not until testing for problems before doing that. Corrupted prefs cause so many problems in Pro Tools.

If you have GUI problems I would be doing quick simple tests for that, throwing absolute minimal stuff on a test partition and seeing if GUI lag is still there or not. Treat that as an experiment not a boil the ocean reinstall of everything. ~1 hour investment in time to get a bare Pro Tools install running if you have stuff already downloaded.
you are not understanding though.. my imac is on it's last legs, the laptop is too noisy for the studio room, the fans go crazy..

my fault for not explaining, i was frustrated when i wrote the post..

OK...

I want to get a mac pro before anything new comes out.. WHY? because for ME, it is plenty of power, it is cheaper than the imac pro, and i can hide it under a desk and never hear it.

I want the 8 core with 32gb ram and 2TB SSD. I'll get the ram and ssd from OWC to save a small fortune, and since apple only offer the 1TB, whereas in OZ owc's 2TB is slightly cheaper than apple's 1. I'll then put the 256 apple ssd in one of their enclosures.

I like this machine, i always have.. i love the 6 thunderbolt ports.. 2 busses.. i can literally put 5 thunderbolt SSD's and not worry about them not having a through. There's 4 USB3 vs 4 USB 2 on my imac.

For ME, it's a perfect machine, as i used hardware synths for 90% of my music. The only software synths i use are softube heartbeat for synth drums, kontakt and well, play (which doesn't work properly with PT), my VA synth stuff is all hardware, as well as some real analogs.. I use kontakt a lot though, with drum libraries and string galore.. even though the mac pro comes with high sierra now, the machine was conceived and still works under yosemite as the hardware is 4 years old. So as long as I have a clean sierra installer saved on USB, i can wipe the mac pro, and do a clean install of sierra.

Anyway ,I digress:

I was in a foul mood Darryl and you just made my Christmas, thank you.

I checked and the link works even here in Australia.

I don't know why google searches did not lead me there, but THANK YOU. You have no idea how much i appreciate it.

WOW that was fast help. I remember we had a tiff in my early days here but i have to say, you have been very helpful and pretty damn awesome and i really had you wrong at the start.

Thanks again..

I was getting my head around Win 10, but it's just easier to stay where I am. I have a little win 7 laptop ivy bridge i got in 2012 for 600 bucks, quad core i7 2.3 ghz, and it actually outperforms my 2.8ghz later generation macbook pro, using win 7 and pro tools 12.8 LOL, in plug in count. Same with S1, Reason, and Cubase. The win machine just throttles it by about 30%, So a desktop 8 core processor on windows would be mental power wise.
Windows is just so much more efficient.
BUT.. even so, i am just so used to mac now. So used to it indeed. I just get around the OS so fast, and i do NOT miss the registry LOL.

So for now, until Avid stop sierra compatibility, that will be it. I can never go to high, as they are planning on *completely* removing any 32 bit support, and i need it. So sierra is my last apple OS for audio. Ever I would guess.

I am happy to use a new but "dated" mac pro with that combo for 5 years , so once i've safely backed up sierra, I will start trying to get funds together for the MP.

Peace.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 AM

I am still lost about all this detail or why any of this is an answer to what I am saying.. you have been having problems right? You seem to be assuming that if you put a lot of planning and work into a huge migration effort it will all just work fine. But you might well end up migrating over whatever is causing the problem. Your approach should be more an experiment to as quickly as possible see if things work and if it’s worth proceeding. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk