Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 08:13 PM

Default Re: best way(anyway) to transfer pt sessions to VST

The very first thing you MUST do is make a copy of your session (including your audio files). This is a must, in case anything goes wrong you have a backup. You should always have a back up anyway, but in this case it is a MUST!

All you have to do is highlight ALL of your audio from the very beginning to the very end of the song. Once it's highlighted, go to the "edit" pull down menu and click on "consolidate selection". This will take a minute or more, but that's Okay. What this does is make each individual track a single audio file. In other words you have the same start point and end point for each track. Once you do this, you'll have to do a little housekeeping on the session. Make sure you have ALL of the audio that you will ever possibly need already consolidated as stated above and in the edit window. Then you go to your audio pool and select "unused regions". Then you hit "clear selected". Then it gives you the option to either remove or delete. Before you do this next step, you have to be 100% positive that you have all of the audio consolidated and in the edit window. Then you select "delete". It will make you delete the files one by one. This is normal. Just keep hitting enter until it's done. Once you've done all of this, your good to go! What you have now is one audio file for each track, and no big mess of audio files to sort through. SAVE the session and look in your audio files folder. These are the files that you will be able to import into Cubase. Trust me on this one, I've done it myself, so I know it works. Make sure that they are .wav files for Cubase.

Just burn those files to a CDR or Multiple CDR's or whatever medium you choose, and away you go.

Hope this helps [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
M-box
PT 5.2
Old 04-29-2003, 09:43 AM

Default best way(anyway) to transfer pt sessions to VST

Is there any way to transfer PT 5.2 sessions to PC Cubase VST 32. I'm guessing that I would have to save individual wav. files onto to a CD and then import them. One of my bandmates wants to try mixing some of our songs on his PC. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian
Old 04-29-2003, 02:46 PM

Good thought, Pwat, but no version of Cubase currently supports OMFi. Steinberg made a lot of noise about OMF compatibility at the introduction of Cubase SX (& obviously the older VST 5.xx versions will never support OMF xfers) but at this point it's looking like OMF support for Cubase SX won't arrive until the future (& paid) 2.0 upgrade (leaving affected users a bit miffed, since mucking about with individual track bounces or Consolidate Selections & exporting SMFs is obviously cumbersome).
Old 04-30-2003, 12:09 AM

i'm sure there are others, but here's one way that works for sure:

create full length "stems" of every track--that is--files that are all the same length and have the same start point. the end time isn't as important as the start time. The main idea is that you now have files which can all be spotted to the same point easily when importing them into any other program.

the process is tedious to be sure, but it works.

one way to speed up the process is to use the "consolidate regions" command. Copy a region from one track (Control-Option-Grab i think is the command, just don't move the thing laterally or you'll have problems,) to all others. that will act as the starting point. do the same to the back end. highlight the entire track, then Shift-Option-3 the thing. i suggest renaming the new tracks while they're highlighted putting a consecutive number infront of each such as 01, 02. . . . it can get confusing what was what.

i hope someone has a better way out there, 'cus this is something i have to do a fair amount of.

cheers,

J
Old 04-30-2003, 12:32 AM

To go from PC to MAC or viceversa using Protools and Sonar there is a way to create a OMF file that is transferrable. Does Cubase have that feature...my guess is they do, that would be the way to go.

Keep Making the MUSIC