Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Pro Tools 2018 help!

I need help. I am absolutely VERY new to this software and simply want to be able to record audiobooks. I heard this was the most used and best software for what I was needing to do. I purchased and downloaded Pro Tools 2018-12 and I cannot seem to get a few things to work.
When I go to setup to add my microphone, I select Playback Engine but am unable to change the input. It says "none" and will not allow another option. Above that it says "Playback Engine" and shows Windows Audio Device but this is also not a field that can be changed.
I have already gone through my computer's control panel and set the microphone to the required settings.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I have been unable to use the software and am desperate to get going.
Thank you in advance.
I am currently using a Dell Inspiron desktop computer.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018 help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwhite0509 View Post
I need help. I am absolutely VERY new to this software and simply want to be able to record audiobooks. I heard this was the most used and best software for what I was needing to do. I purchased and downloaded Pro Tools 2018-12 and I cannot seem to get a few things to work.
When I go to setup to add my microphone, I select Playback Engine but am unable to change the input. It says "none" and will not allow another option. Above that it says "Playback Engine" and shows Windows Audio Device but this is also not a field that can be changed.
I have already gone through my computer's control panel and set the microphone to the required settings.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I have been unable to use the software and am desperate to get going.
Thank you in advance.
I am currently using a Dell Inspiron desktop computer.

Hi, can we get more info on your system and audio hardware? May we know what operating system version you're on and what interface you're using? Seems that you're using a USB microphone? is that correct?
Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 AM

What audio interface are you trying to use?

Ideally you should have installed an ASIO driver for that interface.

If you have not done that already go find an ASIO compatible audio interface with the features you need.

That is the best approach to working with Pro Tools.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 AM

I am using a Studio Series SL 150 USB Condensor Microphone.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hi, can we get more info on your system and audio hardware? May we know what operating system version you're on and what interface you're using? Seems that you're using a USB microphone? is that correct?
Operating system version?
I'm sorry, I am very new to this. Forgive my silly ignorance. That is why I am asking for help and any information. I realize I have a lot to learn.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:43 AM

I would return if possible or toss that microphone, get a small ASIO interface (and use the headphone out from that interface, not your laptop, to monitor while recording). Lots of choices... Focusrite 2i2, interfaces from Presonus, Apogee One or Duet, UAD Arrow. USB microphones are just not great with Pro Tools, and most suck even without Pro Tools. Even if you get it working through ASIO4ALL and aggregated with the PC audio out for monitoring you may well run into other problems.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What audio interface are you trying to use?

Ideally you should have installed an ASIO driver for that interface.

If you have not done that already go find an ASIO compatible audio interface with the features you need.

That is the best approach to working with Pro Tools.

How do I find an ASIO compatible audio interface?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I would return if possible or toss that microphone, get a small ASIO interface (and use the headphone out from that interface, not your laptop, to monitor while recording). Lots of choices... Focusrite 2i2, interfaces from Presonus, Apogee One or Duet, UAD Arrow. USB microphones are just not great with Pro Tools, and most suck even without Pro Tools. Even if you get it working through ASIO4ALL and aggregated with the PC audio out for monitoring you may well run into other problems.
Ok. I can send it back I think. Which of the ones that you listed would you recommend? Also, what do you mean by using it out from that interface? So do not connect it to the computer?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Can you tell us all you want to do with this?

Almost any external audio interface box will have ASIO device drivers but you would double check in the product specs. Any serious vendor will state that clearly.

Yes you should plan for any headphones and monitors to plug into ports on the interface box... not on your computer.

What computer make and exact model do you have? If a PC is it running Windows 7, 8, 20? A Mac what exact model (EMC # on the case) and what version of OS X/macOS (in the system information utility).

What other gear do you have today? Headphones, monitors/speakers, other microphones etc.

What type of podcast are you doing? Do you need to record audio from within say games on the computer as you talk?

Do you want to later record any instruments? Guitars etc? Describe as much detail as you can.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Can you tell us all you want to do with this?

Almost any external audio interface box will have ASIO device drivers but you would double check in the product specs. Any serious vendor will state that clearly.

Yes you should plan for any headphones and monitors to plug into ports on the interface box... not on your computer.

What computer make and exact model do you have? If a PC is it running Windows 7, 8, 20? A Mac what exact model (EMC # on the case) and what version of OS X/macOS (in the system information utility).

What other gear do you have today? Headphones, monitors/speakers, other microphones etc.

What type of podcast are you doing? Do you need to record audio from within say games on the computer as you talk?

Do you want to later record any instruments? Guitars etc? Describe as much detail as you can.
Thank you so much for being willing to help. Most of these questions will have to wait until I get home from work. At least the ones regarding the computer information.
Really I am trying to get into recording audiobooks. I do have a YouTube channel and occasionally do some voiceover but I use the video editing program for that. Unfortunately the quality of the audio was not good enough for recording audiobooks.
All I have currently is my computer, whatever speakers are built in to that, and the microphone listed above. I have a shield to decrease pop noise and a stand for the microphone. From what you are telling me, I am not going about this the best way.