Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-16-2017, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Is the major MIDI update still coming in 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I used to be very proud that I ran Pro Tools, but now I feel stupid.
Exactly what you said. Still love it, but after over 15 years, and with the slow but constant deterioration of Avid's service the love has started fading.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 AM

Proud? That's an odd emotion to attach to software IMO.

Funny, my clients couldn't care less what DAW I am running. They just listen to and like what's coming out of the speakers.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Here's the thing. I thought when Pro Tools finally went 64-bit with AAX virtual instruments, that you'd be able to load say 50 instances of Kontakt with memory-intensive libraries and have no problems. Well, there are plenty of issues, the most glaring comes after loading up said file and waiting up to 5 minutes for the beachball to go away. Logic sails through this scenario.

But I don't want to go back to Logic. I want Avid to fix Pro Tools and MIDI, and VIs. PT is the industry standard for dub stages, music editors, etc., so as a composer I like not have to do the conversion from Logic to Pro Tools.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Did subscription lead to stagnation, or did stagnation lead to subscription?

Probably some of both.......not to single out Avid Pro Tools - its the zeitgeist.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:07 AM

I started in Logic and actually came over to PT. PT audio editing is still much better than in Logic.

If PT could just get MIDI to work with playlists, like audio, I'd be happy with the MIDI support.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 PM

You'd be happy with only having 3-5 VI's running at a time? I'm not. It's more like 30 or 40 with Logic. With the same computer and exactly the same plugs. Just AAX versus Audio Units. It's not subtle. And Like I said, I'm pointing this out after 20 years and tens of thousands invested, so I'm not bringing this up lightly.

I would love it if Avid would make an ass out of U and Me and make me wrong on this. So if you want an update to that will run VI's the way they should run, spend $200 on Logic and see how it could be if Avid would make this stuff work!

Steve
Old 12-17-2017, 06:01 AM

If Logic was still cross-platform, I probably would have stayed with it -- though I still prefer PT, overall.

I don't like being tried to something that only works on OSX. Depending on what Apple does with the upcoming Mac Pro, I might make the switch to PC. Using a DAW that is basically the same on both platforms makes this less daunting.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
If Logic was still cross-platform
This!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 AM

I see both sides of this issue, and though both are valid, to me it seems inevitable. The fact is there has been an actual paradigm shift from recording performances, which Pro Tools was initially designed and built from, to creating content using VI's, which was Logic's (among other sequencing software) specialty. Because PT was acquired by a visual content editing giant, it was positioned to continue to satisfy the needs of what used to be the biggest fish-large studios. The rise of the net and its need for content, those DAWs that started as sequencers had both the resources, desire, and ultimately the flexibility to not only fulfill, but also create the new studio-in-a-box set up for the lone composer/mixer/recordist. I personally started on tape/sequencer setup with a PC, then graduated to Mac with a 001 and PT LE5.3. Though I'm now using a PC again I still have and use Macs also. My point is, the future of sound design and Pro Tools may require the software to be reworked extensively to compete in that market or it may be directed to an even less small studio friendly , hardware oriented market. I hope its the former and I will always lobby for it. Logic is great, if it was cross platform as is, it might even more dominant and I think even the most dedicated PT user would agree that if "our" software had all of Logic's MIDI functionality we would not be ungrateful. Well, that and rock hard stability are the brass ring I believe and we'll just have to see what happens. I wont bad mouth PT, its still my personal favorite, but I do see the view from the other side and I also believe PT will ultimately change one way or another.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 AM

And I think many of us would be happy if we could please get some very basic smart MIDI features. If we need to copy or cut a region that has sustaining MIDI notes, it's a nightmare. Pro Tools is supposed to be so great at editing, yet fails on some of the most basic functions such as this.

Here's how they do in Logic:
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI edit.png (18.2 KB, 0 views)