Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Moving playlist to a different channel

Hi there, I do a lot of vocals recording in loop mode. After recording, is there a way to move all the playlists to a different channel (usually routed to a bus with some compression and eq ) ? So far I have been able to move just the last take while all the other playlists remain on the recording channel.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Moving playlist to a different channel

Maybe :
Recording Track , Track View : Playlist
Audio Track with Compressor/Eq , Track View : Playlist
Recording Track : Shift-select all Playlists and Ctrl+Alt-drag all the Playlists to the other Track

If there are not enough Playlists in Track View on the AudioTrack for processing, I would create more by doing a bogus Loop Recording on that Track.

For all of the above : Preferences , automatically create new Playlist when Loop Recording
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarproducer View Post
Hi there, I do a lot of vocals recording in loop mode. After recording, is there a way to move all the playlists to a different channel (usually routed to a bus with some compression and eq ) ? So far I have been able to move just the last take while all the other playlists remain on the recording channel.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You could also just duplicate the track you're recording to.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks Joachim, that does actually work. However the fact that I have to create new playlists in the channel with eq is a workflow killer when I have many vocals takes to comp, which is always the case.

Thanks again,

Oscar
Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM

Hi PT Lover, yes that's what I have been doing, duplicate the recording track with all the playlists and then changing the output to the Bus I want the vocals to go to. Then I go back to the recording channel and I delete all the takes from there.
I can't think of any faster way.

Cheers,

Oscar
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 AM

I think, with duplicating the recording track, you then have to alt-drag the plugins and sends of the processing track to the duplicated track, and maybe assign a different output.
I would make a session template, where I loop-record a 2 second selection 10 times on the processing track. Now there are 10 playlists in view. Takes 20 seconds. Then delete those bogus-recordings. Save the whole session set-up as a template.

Edit : and with Ctrl-dragging from the recording track, you do not need to delete the clips on the recording track, just a transfer
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 AM

..uhm..damn, you are clever..

Yep, just tried quickly. That should do it for me.

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM

..and actually not..I tried to create a template, I made several bogus recordings and deleted the files. The empty playlists stay in view but if I switch to waveform view they disappear once I switch back to playlists view.

I think I'm making it too complicated in trying to replicate the workflow I have in Logic..I'll have to adapt to a new way.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarproducer View Post
..and actually not..I tried to create a template, I made several bogus recordings and deleted the files. The empty playlists stay in view but if I switch to waveform view they disappear once I switch back to playlists view.
If you leave just a little tiny bogus recording clip on each playlist in the session, it keeps the playlist view. Save as session template and "include media" checked.
I was wrong about deleting the bogus recording.
Those little fake bogus recording audio files in the session template do not hurt, I think. They get "dragged over" from the recording files.
Thanks for the response, I should never stop testing and experimenting .
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Thank you for your help.