Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Automation on record enabled tracks

Ok here's the deal.

I want to be able to automate some things to happen WHILE an input is being recorded. The reason for this is that I want to be able to use my protools system live, with some basic parts of the mix already programed in. For example putting a long delay on one specific word. (the band will be playing to a click, with some parts being "played" off tools). As far as I can see when a track is record enabled all the automation gets ignored until you take it out of record mode again.

Anyone know a way around this?

Cheers!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Automation on record enabled tracks

Try bussing the track(s) to an Aux and do the automation on the Aux track. Seems to me that timing would be absolutely critical to get that delay to work just at the right moment.

Other option would be to use outboard gear for that delay and punch it in and out manually as required.

If you use outboard gear, I'd bus your tracks to an aux track as well. I'd say with a little experimentation on your part you might just get what your are looking for.

Hope this helps

MagicCamera
Old 05-03-2004, 12:37 PM

I just finished setting up a rig for a client to use for this very purpose. The way we arranged his template session was with all of his inputs coming into audio tracks, then routing their outputs to an internal buss. We then setup an aux fader for each buss and routed that to the main output. The beauty of this setup is that he can have recalls at various memory locations to (or automation in your case) while recording on the audio tracks. Basically, it was a split console setup with a channel path (audio tracks) and monitor path (aux tracks). It works famously for him. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:50 PM

Ah yeah I'll give that aux idea a try. Knew it would be something simple!

Outboard sin't really an option with this. It's for a one off gig, but the music needs a load of delays/massive reverbs etc. here and there, which I already have automated from when I recorded the track which is going to be performed. It would require an absolute [bleep] load of outboard to do it exactly as I want (the track is 24 minutes of really droning music, so there's a lot going on to keep it interesting), and Id also have to find someone to engineer it for free/very little money, seeing as Im going to be playing in the performance.

I think it's going to be pretty intersting to do.

The sound guy at the venue is going to love me when he asks for a channel list, which will be

Guitar
Bass
Stereo vocal track
Stereo drums/precussion