Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Different EQ-ing of a theatre mix for small speakers?

Most large theatrical shows have a mix pass on near field monitors for Blu Ray and DVD/TV etc after the main mix has been done.

After all a cinema is a big PA system no matter how you look at it and the very reason you mix on a proper mix stage is to ensure your mixes sound good in a large space. After that you make deliveries tweaked appropriately for their end use.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM

I have heard stuff I've mixed on everything from an iPhone to a theatre. And the same mixe sounded good on every torn at.

Living the dream.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I have heard stuff I've mixed on everything from an iPhone to a theatre. And the same mixe sounded good on every torn at.
How did the LFE translate on your iPhone?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cole View Post
How did the LFE translate on your iPhone?
What's LFE?

Living the dream.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Last mix I did went to a theatre…mixed to -79 / 80 in a smaller room, no $$$$ for a dub stage. That's fine, client development…gotta start someplace right? Scalability is important in today's difficult market. Biggest thing I noticed is a smaller room will "flatten out" the dynamics of a mix going from a smaller space to a larger space. Notice how when you take a theatrical mix at home people complain about it being to dynamic and "loud?" Same thing is true in reverse, going to a big space will make it flatter sounding. There's more air to push in a theatre and the need to push the low end is much more pronounced in a theatre.

The one thing that did translate will was equalizing and editing. That's why I prefer to use JBL speakers because that's a popular brand used in theatrical settings. Good dialogue editing and equalizing will sound good in any space. Headphones are also very important, headphones are awesome for editing and hearing editing problems…always QC on headphones!

Elaborating on the flattening out of a mix...I noticed the feel of "space" in picture is a bit different. For instance, if someone is far away on a screen at a theatre they feel farther away on a bigger screen. So where you would want to duck someone's audio to make them feel more distance that effect would be amplified in a theatrical setting. This might not always be the same from scene to scene…it's case by case and could vary dramatically.