Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 03:19 PM

Default How do I get digidesign core audio driver to work?

Hi guys,

How do I get digidesign core audio driver to work in logic audio if you're running an HD 1 core system w/96 io? Everytime I try this, Logic tells me the driver is in use-I would imagine by the system OS. I want to use the digidesign core audio drivers to keep all my song setups consistant when bringing my work to my friends place as he is also running core audio but no digi hardware. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: How do I get digidesign core audio driver to work?

You can either use PT or CAD not both at the same time.

RTM
Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: How do I get digidesign core audio driver to w

Yeah... I have the same problem. I'm not running protools at the same time. The digi CAD seems to not works very well with Logic at all. Because of that I'm thinking about selling Logic because it is a pretty big pain to use with the digi CAD.

But there are some workarounds... First, make sure the buffer size is the same setting on both the digi CAD, and your Logic preferences. That seems to to be a regular problem. Also... you should try using the Logic ESB. That seems to work the best, but it is complicated and hard to figure out at first.

Good Luck... hopefully Digi makes a better CAD soon, the current one is pretty bad.

-FB
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:

How do I get digidesign core audio driver to work in logic audio if you're running an HD 1 core system w/96 io?
Do you have PT launched when you try?
Or are you listing the hardware you are using. I'm a little confused.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 AM

Hi,

Have you got digi core audio selected in the mac AMS (audio midi setup) or have you assigned it to be used in itunes or similar etc!!

R.E. ESB, its not really an option if you want to be compatible with other logic/core audio users! as the songs won't simply open and run as they do with core audio!!

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:08 AM

Thanx for the responses guys. All I simply want to do is use the digi CAD without the use of DAE or Direct TDM but again, everytime I try to I get a msg in Logic telling me that the digi CAD is in use when I have no other applications running in the background.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Hi,

the application doesn't necessarily have to be running in the background! so just confirm that your AMS is not assigned digi core as its default audio diver. and do the same with any other music app that you have! itunes/jam/toast etc etc.

After trying all this, then try downloading the digi core driver alone from the digi site and try re-installing.

failing that, give more details of your setup and let someone go over it for you.

Good luck

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Avid

First, which version of the Core Audio Driver are you using? You can check by going to MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-ins>HAL and Get Info on the Core Audio Driver.

If it is 6.4 or earlier, it's single client only - meaning only 1 application can be using it at a time. If this is the case, open Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and see what is running - typically it will be something like an iTunes service, even though iTunes isn't launched. Quit the service from Activity Monitor and you should be able to run it with Logic. Always make sure to launch the Core Audio Manager or Core Audio Setup first (depending on the CA version you're running).

If the version is 6.5 or later, then you might try trashing Pro Tools and CA preferences files. Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.digidesign.protools.plist', 'com.digidesign.coreaudiosetup.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), Digisetup.OSX and Digidesign Core Audio Setup.plist, empty the trash and restart, then try again.

You could also try removing other CA drivers, in case there is a conflict there (we've seen problems with the iSight plug-in installed).

If all else fails, trash the CA driver and reinstall it, making sure to use the same version as the version of Pro Tools you're running.

If you still have problems, please give us a complete system profile as well as a list of things you've tried so that we can troubleshoot further.

The CA Driver defitely works with Logic - I use it on a daily basis.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Thankyou for responding digi admin.

I've tried all your suggestions but still no luck.

In Logic after launching, I'll immediately get the following Alert message "Audio device has been removed." Followed by another Alert message stating "The previously selected audio interface is not available. The built-in audio inputs and outputs of the computer will be used instead of this session."

I go to "audio hardware & drivers..." menu in logic, having only the Core Audio portion enabled, it shows:

Driver: (Digidesign HW (HD))
I/O Buffer Size: 1024 (I left it at this size for the digi CAD manager too)

and of course when I play I get nothing because logic reverts back to the built-in audio inputs/outputs of the computer. I'm stumped.

My setup is the following:

DP 1GHZ G4
MAC OS X 10.3.9
LOGIC PRO 7.1
1GB SDRAM
80GB HD with 50GB available HD space
Digidesign HD 1 & 96 i/o running Protools 6.7 software with 6.7 digi core audio and core audio manager

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:51 PM

With Logic and Melodyne, I have to launch Core Audio first or it doesn't work. They will auto launch the Core Audio app, but will fail to connect properly unless the Core Audio app is manually launched first.

Logic 7.1
Melodyne 2.6
ProTools 6.9.1/Accel
OSX 10.3.9

STeve