How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 PM

Default nevermind

nevermind

Last edited by DR.CHUD; 10-14-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Re: PT 9 (student ed)

Nobody can legitimately sell a Pro Tools student edition anything. So you are trying to deal with somebody not to be trusted already. And you want to use a student license you brought online for cheap for commercial work, that is not exactly kosher....

Video? Pro Tools 9. No forget it. Pro Tools 12. And do you need surround sound or multiple video tracks? Then you likely need Pro Tools 12 HD and a $5k+ budget for a Pro Tools HD/Omni starter bundle, plus the cost of the computer, video display(s), disks, backup disks, etc.

And try answering the following (with Google searches)...

1. The old 1010 interfaces, are no longer supported, but they have old drivers available that that run on what OS versions....

2. Pro Tools 9 is no longer supported and offically runs on what OS versions....

3. Your computer (or computers you can buy) currently runs what OS version? If that OS needs to be downgraded or upgraded to suit 1 and 2 above can it be done (new Macs cannot be downgraded) and what will that cost in licenses and effort?

4. Does you computer meets all the systems requirement for Pro Tools? Including having a dedicated audio/session drive? And another dedicated drive for video? (you might get a away with less, but fot the price of an extra SSD or HDD it is not worth it).

5. You have a computer with a PCI (not PCIe) slot suitable for the 1010? (very few new PCs, and no macs, have PCI slots).

---

48 GB is overkill for Pro Tools 9, its only a 32 bit application and can use barely a few GB. One reason to avoid it entirely and go Pro Tools 12 which is 64-bit. You need 16GB or more for Pro Tools with video. I doubt you will need 48GB, but memory is cheap.

You need to worry about way more for a properly set up system than just worrying about how much memory is in the computer. Especially if you also want to do video. As a starting point the Pro Tools systems requirement information is findable with Google.

You mention three interfaces, I doubt you can run/aggregate three of those interfaces in a single computer.

You are better off buying a new legitimate Pro Tools 12 licenses, and a new modern computer and a USB or Thunderbolt (if you have a new Mac) interface that is supported well on current OSes. And get support from Avid, for what it is worth. You do need to check Pro Tools session version and reuire plugins for any folsk you are going to be working wht.

Get a Mac (MacBook Pro if you need portability) or build your own PC (great threads on DUC about recommended PC builds) or buy a custom built Pro Tools systems, most off the shelf standard PCs are not a good idea. If it needs to be portable get a MacBook pro. Otherwise if you prefer Windows go that way on a desktop. If you are goign to be workign in a facility/studio with other computers etc. then I'd get the same OS as they use, and discuss recommended systems with folks there.

And what video input/output/display compatibility do you need?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 PM

You need to work out what you are doing and who you need to work with, what formats you are receiving and delivering work/sessions in and if you are round tripping projects etc. Ideally standardize on the same versions of Pro Tools and plugins anybody else involved in a project is using. All old RTAS plugins from Pro Tools 9 will not work in Pro Tools 12 (with runs AAX-64 plugins only).

All versions of Pro Tools will only allow you to run one 1010. Including Pro Tools HD.

If you are doing much composition/VI work then you really want to be on 64-bit Pro Tools 12.

You are unlikely to find a modern-spec great PC for Pro Tools that has a PCI slot for your 1010. But check/ask around I have not looked, I'd just not bother and I'd get a modern interface. But if you are just composing MIDI for an mixing stereo audio for video then you could run with the computers build-in sound output, especially of you get a PC with a good ASIO sound card. if you think you are doing surround, this is a much longer discussion and I suspect would be biting off way more than you should now.

Pro Tools HD 9 for under $100 is almost certainly a scam. Get yourself out of the EBay sewer and call a dealer like Sweetwater to purchase a real license or interface/license bundle.

You need to be very careful thinking you can just buy old licenses. Unless you understand how Avid licensing works, how iLoks work and the new subscription licensing plans you very likely will get burnt. You should probalby just buy Pro Tools 12 new and a PC and interface to work with that.

This is the monster thread for building i7 PCs for Pro Tools. the first post has been updated so start reading there. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Old 10-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.CHUD View Post
OK SO how bout this: I KEEP MY MP8 and fagettabout the 1010lts delemma!!
AND just buy a new computer!!!
you can't, a new computer will be to modern for any of that to work

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM

You need to stop thinking about a "more powerful computer", you need to think carefully about the proper/proven/recommended computer for what you need to do/software you want to run/hardware interfaces you want to use. You can spend a lot of money on a seemingly maxed out computer only to rediscover lots of problems people already know about with that hardware/config.

The thread I gave you gives a great start.

To do this properly is likely orders of magnitude more work than just buying a "fast" PC, but not unlike many folks go through in the video editing or CAD markets to get a great performing system.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.