Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Connecting outboard digitally

Are there any problems with connecting an external Reverb/FX unit via an 001 or 002's digital conections? What about clocking? Aren't a lot of their SPDIF connections at 20bits?

I have a bunch of old Lexicons, which I love, but figure that maybe getting a newer unit with digital connections would improve my signal and free up analog inputs for... whatever. It seems like a pretty neat deal, almost like getting free DSP.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Connecting outboard digitally

i gotta be honest with you -- i've got an 002 and a lexicon 550 w/spdif (which allows me to set something else, i.e., the 002 as the clock). i have had no trouble at all using it "analog" style as an outboard fx unit, and no LUCK at all using it via spdif. i am fairly confident i've followed the instructions to the letter but simply have not had any success. still -- using it as i am, it sounds just great, but i'd love to put those $45 "spdif" (i.e., rca ) cables to use that "sweetwater brad" sold me (insert photo of me along with sound of breying mule here....)

steve
Old 10-23-2003, 06:45 PM

Nope, no problems what-so-ever.

I use lots of devices connected to my 001 via S/PDIF. If the external device doesn't suppport setting itself to receive clock, I usually clock the 001 from the external device.

20 bit is also no problem, as long as you dither the signal you are sending to the 20 bit device down to 20 bits. Even if you don't, I don't think its a huge problem, as long as you still like the sound.

Damon
Old 10-24-2003, 06:34 AM

this reply goes to valvebrother. How exactly to you connect your external spdif device to your pro tools. Can you please give me a step by step set up, I've been trying to accomplish this task for sometime now and can't seem to get it to work. A little help would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:33 AM

Connect the S/PDIF out from the Digi 001 to the S/PDIF in of the external device. S/PDIF out of the device to S/PDIF in of the 001. Use real digital S/PDIF cables if you can, not regular RCAs.

Make sure the external device is set to use it's digital input, if the device supports both analog and digital connection. If the device supports more than 1 digital format (AES/EBU and S/PDIF, etc) you may also need to make sure the device is set to S/PDIF as it's digital format.

Make sure your optical format for protools is set to ADAT. In OS 9 this is done through the Digi control panel. You cannot run the optical version of S/PDIF and the regular S/PDIF mode at the same time with the 001. The optical must be set to ADAT.

Under the hardware menu, set the 001 to clock from the S/PDIF input.

Then, for me, as I usually use the devices I have during mixdown on my master fader I simply set the output of my master fader in protools to be S/PDIF left and right. I create a stereo new track in protools, set its inputs to S/PDIF 1-2, it's outputs to my monitoring D/A or analog 1-2, put ithat track in record.

Done.

You can do the same thing using aux sends by just setting the output of the send you create on your track to S/PDIF 1-2 and the input of the stereo aux track to S/PDIF 1-2.

Damon