Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Generating timecode with SYNC IO

I am unsure why I am having trouble generating timecode with my sync io. i have the unit set to generate LTC. I have a connection to my otari Status 18R, but I cannot get the front panel of the Sync io to show timecode. What am I doing wrong. It seems like a simple situation. I am sure that I am overlooking something. Tiimecode is working fine on the board and the eagle automation software. I can get the eagle to read time code from the otari and I can get the Otari to follow the eagle software, but I cannot interface this with PT. I can only think that timecode is not be output from the sync since it does not display any on the front or within the session set up. In session setup, I have the unit set to use internal clock and Generate LTC. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the SYNC to display timecode on the front panel that runs along with the PT session????
thanks in advance. If I am leaving out any crucial info please let me know
PT 6.4
HD3
Sync io with newest firmware(1.10 i think)

thank you so much!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Generating timecode with SYNC IO

As well as selecting 'generate time code' in the session set-up window you also need to put the system on-line in the transport window.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 PM

What Richard said... Command-J.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 AM

As above. When PT reads TC it sometime doesn't work straight away, just flip the timecode rate to something else and back again. This usually sorts any problems. Most important thing is to check the session setup window!

I would suggest that you video ref/lock both PT and tape machine to avoid drift and make sure PT has the "Sync" unit as the Clock Source. Make sure that you have the correct timecode rate and video source! As Digidesign is American it usually defaults to NTSC and 30frps (should be 29.97). In the UK/Europe this should be PAL and 25. I have been caught out by this before (never a problem with USD and v5) so always check.

I usually get PT to chase analogue machines/ desk TC. It's just easier. The tape machine still has to rewind and shuttle! If it's all video locked there is no advantage to PT being master, other than controlling tape if you don't have a desk.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you. I'm tired and heading for bed!

Take it easy...