Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 10:42 AM

Default Re: How can i trust ProTools - why should i ever trust ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Good point about the disk cache. I have fast drives, and only 16GB RAM, so I have cache set to 'normal', which essentially means 'off'. I need every GB of memory, and can't waste it on a totally unnecessary disk cache.
Jeff Komar told me it was not necessary anymore months ago when I was setting up my new Mac Studio and new gear here.. I still have the need for a 16TB LaCie Drive, but only use it for SFX etc. and it's also good for my BU's.. I have too much going on, but have now a few SSD I am using that are great. When I am just mixing stuff it's super fun to have the SSD connected. I even have been runnng the session on the internal as I have a 4TB on my Mac Studio ULTA. Wish now I had done 8TB, but still have a ton of room on this one. I moved all of my NI stuff there which are small VI footprints for the most part and they are now super zippy in loads. This internal HD on my ULTRA screams!
I am looking into an array of those SSD cards for the future that I put somewhere in the room. That's the plan, but for now the New 4TB T7Rugged for $279, is almost 1000mb/sec now as opposed to the older ones. We will see what NAMM brings or NAB. That is my hold-:)

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-06-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Why wood a pro CHOOSE to put themselves in the position having to trust a professional live recording session to a brand new system =new machine, new OS, and new PT version ????
Which just seems to obviously be a fundamentally bad Idea with any DAW
You're (partly) right about that... not totally but i take your point seriously.

At the time of the incident it was a proven machine on a proven OS. The only new thing is a new PT version (increment of 1 generation), validated for the exact configuration in the most simple setup.
No Plugins, no VI, no external stuff except the stinky iLok trying to connet to the internet that i disable at all times when recording. (btw. is there a easy way to permanently disconnect that MF?)
Basically nothing more than recording 16 tracks of 96kHz-24bit. What a challenge for a DAW in 2023 connected to a 7000GB/s SSD!

I mistakenly assumed that after thoroughly testing my configuration with the latest OS and PT (2022.x at the time of install), I could trust AVID to provide a working update of their industry standard, most expensive DAW without me having to spend hours testing from scratch.

I had already recorded two days of ordinary takes with another projects on the new PT 2023. 52 Takes around 3-5min to be exact. So how much tests do i need to do before i can trust PT to hold through 30min?

Avid has spent the most time of all DAW companies to adapt to ARM technology, I wrongly assumed that this would result in a stable configuration.
Let's face it, they don’t seem to be in a hurry when validating hardware/software compatibilities, and demand the most restrictive requirements.

I was also under the misconception that just because Logic and Reaper seem to install and work in a fraction of the time, I could expect similar from Avid. But no. My bad.

For the price of a DAW i could buy a speed-support ticket from a multi-miillion-$ company since my ordinary inquiry is still unreplied. Or instead, as i did for the last two decades solve the issues on my own.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.d View Post
You're (partly) right about that... not totally but i take your point seriously.
I get your frustration but being pissed off while replying appears to be making your posts somewhat unclear ..
Quote:
At the time of the incident it was a proven machine on a proven OS. The only new thing is a new PT version (increment of 1 generation), validated for the exact configuration in the most simple setup.
OK BUT sounds like that 1 generation change in PT was also the switch from running under Rosetta to running Apple Silicon Native ? So that is kind of a red flag IMO...

Quote:
except the stinky iLok trying to connet to the internet that i disable at all times when recording. (btw. is there a easy way to permanently disconnect that MF?)
I am not clear on what you are saying ? ( but IMO under no situation should your iLok be "trying to connect to the internet (unless you are using iLok cloud connection (another spectacularly bad idea ) Are you not using a USB iLok dongle, ? Because my USB iLok does not try to connect to the internet and there is no having to disable it etc. . So that to me that "trying to connect to internet" is Big flashing red light and siren

Quote:
I mistakenly assumed that after thoroughly testing my configuration with the latest OS and PT (2022.x at the time of install), I could trust AVID to provide a working update of their industry standard, most expensive DAW without me having to spend hours testing from scratch.

I had already recorded two days of ordinary takes with another projects on the new PT 2023. 52 Takes around 3-5min to be exact. So how much tests do i need to do before i can trust PT to hold through 30min?
Again unclear as to what you are actually describing I don't know what (2022.x at the time of install) means ? Since you are saying a Mac Mini M2 I would assume it was PT 2021.12 (or maybe 2021.10 )
2021.10 was Rosetta only and 2021.12 also included a public beta for Native apple ARM -- BUT it's default launch was under Rosetta and you had switch it Native to test it
PT 2023.3 launches default in Arm native and you have to switch it Rosetta if you want to run it that way.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-06-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Avid has spent the most time of all DAW companies to adapt to ARM technology, I wrongly assumed that this would result in a stable configuration.
Has it been established what, precisely, caused the issue(s)?

Certainly by now you must realize that it isn't ProTools the app. If it was, we'd all be experiencing this, but almost no one is.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Has it been established what, precisely, caused the issue(s)?

Certainly by now you must realize that it isn't ProTools the app. If it was, we'd all be experiencing this, but almost no one is.

hmm.. hard to say its not the app. everything else works...
coming home from the location session, PT wouldn't even start up anymore. It didn't even reached the first PT 'panel', it just froze after 1-2 seconds...

i just did a fresh uninstall / install this afternoon, but hadn't time to test. Hell i have other things to work on.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
OK BUT sounds like that 1 generation change in PT was also the switch from running under Rosetta to running Apple Silicon Native ? So that is kind of a red flag IMO...
Yes and no.
Isn't it the purpose of an ARM application to run under ARM on a ARM Mac?
Or: Wouldn't it be cool to get a message when PT detects non ARM components should this be delicate?
In any case, i receive less meaningful messages from protools almost on a daily basis.
e.g. when i open a session were i have a deactivated track that has a deactivated hardware insert on it...

Quote:
I am not clear on what you are saying ? ( but IMO under no situation should your iLok be "trying to connect to the internet (unless you are using iLok cloud connection (another spectacularly bad idea ) Are you not using a USB iLok dongle, ? Because my USB iLok does not try to connect to the internet and there is no having to disable it etc. . So that to me that "trying to connect to internet" is Big flashing red light and siren
of course, i do have an USB iLok holding all the licenses. Unfortunately i see, that I have 5 licenses that are BOTH on the iLok cloud AND the USB. My bad.
I don't excactly understand the logic behind ilok searching for licenses in the cloud when they already are on the USB, though...

Quote:
Again unclear as to what you are actually describing I don't know what (2022.x at the time of install) means ? Since you are saying a Mac Mini M2 I would assume it was PT 2021.12 (or maybe 2021.10 )
2021.10 was Rosetta only and 2021.12 also included a public beta for Native apple ARM -- BUT it's default launch was under Rosetta and you had switch it Native to test it
PT 2023.3 launches default in Arm native and you have to switch it Rosetta if you want to run it that way.
i didn't quite remember, ... 2021.12 confirmed
i mentionned it was the last before the actual 2023.3

is that true? 15 month between updates? seems plenty.
i don't mind, i stay on one version for as long as possible when it finally runs stable. I'm a perpetual license buyer.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:42 PM

You keep repeating “no plugins” (as in none used in the session) as if that is so important… But you still don’t seem to have done much of standard troubleshooting including actually moving the .aaxplugin files out of their folder, and other things. It does not matter how long you have been using Pro Tools or opinions, or guesses about stuff, just run the standard troubleshooting steps, that is what they are there for, and we will at least know where you are at. If you have done this then please explain so clearly.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:54 PM

I have great trouble following much of what you are talking about. ILok searching for licenses on the cloud should not be a problem if they are not needed… if you have Pro Tools or any plugin that is using a cloud based license that is your mistake, especially for a long running recording session. You are in full control of that. You set it up, fix it, use ILM to move all license activations out of the cloud.

If you have ZDT insurance on the iLok there is also some light weight communications between ILM and Pace over the Internet, this should not affect things. But when setting up any long running tracking session just fully disable networking as I have already talked about. There is potentially a lot of crap that modern apps talk over the net, including Apple certificate revocation, auto software update, sending usage metrics, etc. The best way to be sure none of that causes issues is to totally and fully isolate your Mac from the network when doing critical stuff.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-06-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:13 PM

I have to agree. The technical approach to this has been odd, and such a strong will to blame unproven and unusual culprits suggests a lack of patience which often only gets in the way of finding a true fix. This shouldn't be complicated, yet it is.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
hmm.. hard to say its not the app. everything else works...
It's not the app. It simply isn't. Assuming so is only preventing you from getting to the bottom of this.
Closed Thread