Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Anyone seen the new 003+?

Just wondering if it's hit the stores yet - the Digi press release has said "Now Shipping" for over a week now.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Anyone seen the new 003+?

Began shipping on the 7th
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM

No disrespect but that's a press release. It could even mean it left on a slow boat from China! No retailer web site that I could find even mentions it.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM

my issue is that on the 002/003 you cannot bypass the mic pre's when running into the line inputs of 1-4 so there is a noise floor issue there which is pretty significant. So if this one means 8 inputs worth of this same issue that means I wouldn't touch it with your 20ft pole. If they had come out with a box that had either 16 inputs of ADAT or if you really want to dream, 16 inputs with SMUX support, then we'd be talking. It just blows my mind that M-Powered people can have this right now as we speak...... WTF? Not SMUX but 2 sets of ADAT inputs or the option of up to 192K using the Anaolg ins for $700.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFire2626/

We pay $1550 for 48k and only 1 set of ADAT. Thanks Digi for this cutting edge new device!

And this would be just what the docter ordered, for $400!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/clos...reLB--Back.jpg

Nope not for LE, you would be much too productive with such a device. Can't have that now... I'd pay $2500 for that same exact device to work on LE.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddsAre View Post
my issue is that on the 002/003 you cannot bypass the mic pre's when running into the line inputs of 1-4 so there is a noise floor issue there which is pretty significant.
a lot of gear in this price range does the same thing

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 PM

ok... so then it isn't a legitimate issue because "a lot of gear in this price range does the same thing"? I guess I could be more specific, buy a used Digi 002 and an Apogee Rosetta (or any 8 input A/D converter) so that you can have at least 12 channels of non tainted input and 4 inputs of noisy input, instead of 8 inputs of noisy input and 8 inputs of un-tainted input with the 003+.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 AM

I have to agree with Oddsare on this one
The 003 preamps are "Ok", but Im using a Soundcraft 1600 and sometimes a TL-audio for mic preamps.
I wish I could bypass the 003 preamps totaly!
Perhaps with a bypass modification? then I would be able to have 8 analog inputs and 8 digital inputs with my own choice of preamps!
Either way, the analog stages arent the best, and could be improved.
I've checked these guys out :
http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi003_mod.html
I wouldnt mind ordering a custom mod with a bypass function in the 003 preamp stages.
tasty huh?
MPT 2.0
003 Factory/Mbox
Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 AM

From the specifications here:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...64&itemid=6243
It looks like you get to choose to use the mic preamps (XLR) or line/DI Inputs on any of the 8 channels. Now the question is does it truly bypass the mic preamps by using the line/DI inputs of is it just a 1/4" plug that goes through the same circuit. I see a line/DI switch on the front panel but does that mean all 8 inputs are either mic inputs or all 8 are line/DI? I would think it would be useful to be able to select some as mic and some as line/DI. Perhaps there is a way to do this that I can't tell by just looking at the front panel.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrohowie View Post
No disrespect but that's a press release. It could even mean it left on a slow boat from China! No retailer web site that I could find even mentions it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/003RPlus/

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGDMX003RPLUS

http://www.audiomidi.com/003-Rack--Factory-P11594.aspx

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...dio_Interfaces

I didn't have any problems finding it. Press releases are released for a reason...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
From the specifications here:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...64&itemid=6243
It looks like you get to choose to use the mic preamps (XLR) or line/DI Inputs on any of the 8 channels. Now the question is does it truly bypass the mic preamps by using the line/DI inputs of is it just a 1/4" plug that goes through the same circuit. I see a line/DI switch on the front panel but does that mean all 8 inputs are either mic inputs or all 8 are line/DI? I would think it would be useful to be able to select some as mic and some as line/DI. Perhaps there is a way to do this that I can't tell by just looking at the front panel.
Obsidian, we aren't saying you can't use the line inputs, but using the Line Inputs DOES NOT disengage the mic pre, there for even if you have the Line Input button out and the volume on that mic pre all the way down, there is still noise from the mic pre bleeding into the Line Source. You can test this by creating two new audio tracks. Set the first one to Mic Input 1 of the 002/003. Set the second track input to Input 8 of the Digi 002/003. Make sure Input 1 is set to Line on the Digi and the volume knob is all the way down. Record 5 seconds of dead air to both tracks. Highlight each region and then go to Audiosuite/Other and choose Gain. Process both clips with +70dB of gain and you will see the one going through Input 1 will have noise floor and the other is drastically lower. You may need to zoom in a bit, but it won't take much to see it.

So you think, well big deal, it's so quiet, but add that noise to 48 tracks and you will wonder why your mixes are muddy. So ultimately I was saying it is easier to avoid using 4 channels of this type of Input such as on the 002/003 than it will be to avoid 8 channels of it on the 003+. If you are looking to keep your LE system as "PRO" as possible and use high quality external mic pre's then you would want to stay away from the 003+. If you are looking for the least expensive way to get 16 inputs into LE and are bound and determined to buy brand new, get the 003+ and something like the Digimax I guess...