Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Default D-Verb warble

So at some point, the RTAS version of D-Verb became different from the TDM version, and some modulation was added (a la Lexicon) to the native version. This has carried over into the AAX Native version, and now that I no longer have a HD TDM rig, I'm stuck with this modulation warble in the D-Verb plugin.

Is there any way to shut this off? Reverb tails are drifting out of tune
Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Default Re: D-Verb warble

The TDM version always had modulation in it's algorithm, which was never included in the RTAS version. In PT 8, they added the same modulation algorithm to the RTAS version so it would match the TDM version. Many protested this change including myself, as opening older sessions was now an issue. The added modulation also used up a lot more CPU, which made opening older sessions that were very large another issue. Unfortunately, it cant be turned off. For the sake of backwards compatibility, we should be able to turn off the modulation.

Since PT 8, the TDM and RTAS algorithms have been identical. If you're hearing the modulation emphasized more in AXX, then it's definitely a bug that should be reported and looked at.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM

I just stopped using D-Verb when the modulation was added. Now I have a project where compatibility between several composers is important, and was considering using only stock Pro Tools plugins, but the modulation is making reverb tails out of tune.

I'll have to find another reverb plugin that everyone has on their rig...

Personally, I feel like they rendered D-Verb unusable. Ring-outs are out of tune
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Hey Scott,

The chorusing has been an issue for me since moving to HDX. I found this article on the avid site... no idea if installing an older version of D-verb will help but check this out:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_To/en207777
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Thanks - I had thought of using an old version, but it might be unstable and end up being more trouble than it's worth. Since it's just for monitoring purposes before all compositions are approved and ultimately mixed on the same rig, We'll just use something else.

It's funny, I've used Pro Tools since the very beginning, and back when D-Verb was all there was in TDM land, I don't remember hearing this pitch issue at all. I wish they would give us a button to shut it off. What good is an out of tune reverb?

(actually, it sounds nice within a track, but the ring-out is what's bothersome)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Ah! Thought I was going crazy. I've only noticed D Verb tails being a bit pitchy since going from TDM7.4 to HDX10. Not welcome and not seeing the point to be honest. Can you turn it off or what???
Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Looks like its not present in Church and Hall algorithms FYI
Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Sorry for the necro bump, but I though maybe someone found a solution for this?
I’m about to make the switch from HD TDM to HD native and now my go to snare reverb (dverb Medium room) sounds like garbage since the formerly smooth tail is now weird and warbly...the reverb actually sounds entirely different in its native version

To whoever said they sound the same since pt8:
Here are two clips with the same settings, one is tdm version, the other one native (I’ve also compared rtas in pt10 and aax in pt2018 which sound identical to each other).

http://www.lasselammert.com/sonstiges/DSP-Native.zip
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 PM

There is no solution. Certain algorithms have added modulation to the tails. It can’t be disabled.

Honestly, I’d change your reverb. There are countless FAR better reverbs than D-Verb. Like light years better. Some of them ridiculously cheap. Some even free!

Considering there’s going to be a ton of Black Friday sales in a few weeks, I’d do some research and demo a few plugins and then pull the trigger at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Well, “better” is not an objective term.
I’ve got revived an relab480 any many more fantastic reverbs that I live and that sound “better”.
But this almost cheap sounding graininess of d-verb is perfect for metal snare drums, I have not found a single one that does the same thing for me, it’s become a massive part of my “signature” drum sound.
I would never use it for anything else since I got “better” sounding reverbs, but this one thing it does on snares is something that no other reverb can do for me. With today’s processing power it really shouldn’t be a problem for avid to fix this, a lot of people are still using d-verb (in fact many of my colleagues are using it for that very same reason$.