Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Ethernet Error

I have done further testing on this with PT 8cs2 on my G5 with OS X 10.5
All my plug ins are up to date.

Quitting by itself does not always cause this Force Quitting always does cause this,
but when it does, I get the this error:
"An error Occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communications..."
this happens twice, then I get this error:
"Could not create network sockets for Satellite connection..."
(I do not have Satellite}
If I then go to the Menu to reset the Ethernet Controllers, I get the same message about Satellit again and then the Port is unchecked. If you check it you get the first Ethernet error again and it will not reconnect.

If you Restart the Computer but not the D-Command, You can go in and reset the port. But if you restart both the D-Command and the computer, it doesnt not need resetting and works fine.

this happen whether you reset prefs etc or not. And has happened since PT 7.4 something...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:34 PM

I had the same problem from 3 months ago, & what I did I connected my
D-control ES to Ethernet Port 1 on my macpro not Port 2 & this solved the problem, now I have the D-control on Ethenet port1 & my Internet connection on port 2, please see if you network setup in OSX Preferences is set to get automatic IP for port1 port2 , this is the solution I am sure, now I don't have this problem at all, also if you have any other computer in your house on the same network take care that it doesn't conflict with the IP of your mac, thsi should work, the plugin list you have installed in your computer doesn't have any effect on an error like this, even if you take all your plugins out of the plugin folder you will still have the same problem, this is just to prove to your self that the plugins is not the problem.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM

I will agree with amr,at least this is how we have our system-DControl 32- hooked up(2 years now),using a hub for the 3 modules,connected to a dedicated ethernet port on the Mac(Port1).
Btw did you try the suggested ethernet tests and the loopback test? with the provided loopback connector
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM

sorry I am right in the middle of a mix and I may not be able to test this further for a week or so, thanks for the input. I unfortunately do not have more than one ethernet port on my G5.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM

I experience the exact same thing with PT8 and my D-command.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 AM

Any news on the solution of this problem, as we are suffering from the same mysterious random disconnection of the D-Command. I trashed prefs, reinstalled PT8, but didn't help. To rule out any trouble with the G5's internal ethernet port, is it possible to operate the d-command on a seperate ethernet pci-card? Also, when doing the D-Commands Ethernet test with the loopback plug connected, what should the upper left display show? In my case the upper right display shows the outgoing packets, but the incomming value won't show any incrementing values. When reentering the test, incomming value has increased, but again wont change during the test. Is that the normal behaviour or may there be a problem with the D-Command's ethernet card?

best regards
flo

__________________________________________________ ______________
PT8 HD Icon D-Command - G5 2x2GHz 4,5GB RAM - SYNC I/O - OS X 10.5.7
Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Does anyone know the reason for the "An error Occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communications..." problem? Is it a software bug that only appears on G5 Macs? Do we all have a faulty D-Command? The PT8 CS3 update didn't solve the problem. I also exchanged the G5 Dual 2GHz Mac for a G5 Dual 2,5GHz Mac without results....
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenders View Post
Does anyone know the reason for the "An error Occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communications..." problem? Is it a software bug that only appears on G5 Macs? Do we all have a faulty D-Command? The PT8 CS3 update didn't solve the problem. I also exchanged the G5 Dual 2GHz Mac for a G5 Dual 2,5GHz Mac without results....
Hi. Yes, that's been my problem as well. And I'm on an Intel Mac. The anoying thing is that you have to reboot the mac to get contact to the Icon again once PT has crashed that way. I haven't seen the problem so much lately though... maybe it's the CS updates - don't know... I which situations do you get the thing?

Boe
Old 06-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I which situations do you get the thing?
It happens almost every day when booting the system. Sometimes a restart of the d-command and protools helps, sometimes I reboot a 5 times and the error won't go away. Reconnecting the ethernet cable, dis- and enable the peripherals ethernet connection, resetting the d-command. Everytime something different helps. And most of the time, if connection to the d-command is established again, the system somehow behaves instable. CS3 didn't fix it, too.
Today I completely reinstalled OSX and ProTools from scratch, replaced firmware of sync I/O and d-command. No third-party tdm's installed, opened pro-tools for the first time and there it is again: "An error Occurred while trying to establish Ethernet communications..." The ethernet cables are OK, the mac doesn't have any problems, d-commands ethernet test seems to be OK,...
The system worked fine for over a year without any problems, and without changing or updating anything, suddenly that problem occured and then became worse.
I guess the next step will be a replacement of the d-command.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenders View Post
I guess the next step will be a replacement of the d-command.
Ah, ok. I think you should contact Digi.

Do you have a ethernet switch between the mac and the D-command?

Boe