Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Re: One of the strangest things I've ever seen. Anyone have ideas?

Ok. Once again, thanks for pointing me towards properly updating the firmware in our Sync HD units. They have both now been properly updated, with the update software in each case confirming that the update was successful.

Sadly, our problem still exists in both rooms.

I'd like to interject here that we discovered this problem when we were recording a multi-mic setup on piano. Piano can be a very sustained instrument which would nicely illustrate clocking issues. I would think more so than even sensitive dialogue where words are changing and a mis-matched clock would have less "sustained" passages to try to navigate and maintain. And, we have found that having half a dozen mics on the piano exacerbates the issue even further. Anyway, just wanted to throw that into this discussion

What we have so far found that works the best is if we clock the Sync HD to a black burst generator which is plugged (via BNC) into the Sync HD "Video Ref" and then set our clock source in the ProTools Session Window to Video Reference.

But I sure wish I could figure out why the Sych HD is giving us the ticks ONLY when it's clocked internally.

So odd to me.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
But I sure wish I could figure out why the Sych HD is giving us the ticks ONLY when it's clocked internally.
Sync HD is not going to give any ticks, but one interface or A/D not clocked properly. Troubleshooting may be tricky at times, so what you should do is simplify your setup.

As in disconnect any external reference your Sync HD is receiving, re-seat connections to all the interfaces' Loop Sync configuration and THEN one by one connect the A/D -- with current cables -- and see if you can spot one problematic device. If you only connect one A/D you will spot the problematic device. And then, first double-check that device is syncing to your clock properly, and if it doesn't help change the WC cable.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM

JFreak,

Yes, super helpful and a good reminder. Most likely we will follow those exact steps as we continue the testing. We have sessions running in between the testing, so it takes us some time to try new things.

In light of your comments, there are two odd things:

The first thing, especially in light of the good audio testing principles that you've laid out is that the exact same thing is happening in both of our rooms which generally speaking remain intact (equipment not moving around on any sort of a frequent basis). And these ticks are SUPER low level, which makes me even wonder if our situation might actually be common to many studios using a Hearback Pro, but they remain undetected for differing reasons (source material, number of mics involved, etc).

Second, these little ticks ARE ONLY IN THE HEADPHONES, NOT in the audio we are recording. So one would have to suspect something involving the clocking of the Hearback system (not putting fault there necessarily).

And I want to remind you of the most puzzling aspect:

By clocking either of our systems to a Horita black burst generator, there are no clicks, which does throw suspicion (wouldn't rule anything out but...) on answers such as a bad WC cable...would the cable be bad when Sync is internal but then be good when Sync is external? Would be hard to imagine that, for instance, we had at least one bad WC cable in each room, but both of those bad cables work perfectly fine when a black burst gen is referenced for clocking.

We've got sessions for the next few days, and we'll be using our Horita's, but hopefully we can get back to this next week.

Super strange that the Hearbacks work perfectly if the Sync is clocked externally.

Last edited by johnnyv; 10-15-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 PM

I quickly scanned the posts and see no mention that the sync HD is loop sync master. Do you have loop sync setup between the sync HD and the interfaces?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-15-2019, 11:24 PM

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for jumping in. Yes, the Sync HD is Loop Sync Master, with the Loop Sync light properly lit on its "underlings". And that's true in both rooms.