Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 PM

Default Main L/R made inactive

One day I opened up my last session, and the Main L/R was made inactive, and I don't know why or how. It has been suggested something deeper than normal has gotten screwed up by a former sound engineering instructor.

First thing, I was not using an interface with my MacBook, I was just doing some post production mixing. I went into the I/O setup, and couldn't select default.

I switched my playback engine to the protools aggregate I/O instead of built in output.
Also unchecked the "sessions overwrite I/O setup when opened."

The Main L-R seemed to show up again in the mix window (and were not italicized and grey), but still had no audio coming through to my headphones.

Switched back been playback aggregate and built in outputs and this warning kept coming up "playback does not support 44.1 kHz".

It was suggested that the immediate above is normal, and "makes sense. However, an assertion message indicates that something is corrupted, whether a database, app, or file, etc."

(I used a little helper app to wipe out protocols/preferences/history to clean up my computer).

Thats roughly where I'm at. I could use some help for sure. I have some music for a short film I need to finish mixing. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestion, and or guidance!
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Main L/R made inactive

If the system info in your profile is correct your problem is pretty much down to running PT10 on a non-compatible OSX (Yosemite). There are known problems like blank insert menus until you hover over the inserts and other weird issues that people posting here have had when trying to run this combo.

Solutions are to either upgrade to PT12 or downgrade your OSX to OSX 10.9.5 or OSX 10.8.5. I'm not sure if there's still a combo license asset of PT10/11/12 available in one of the current upgrade possibilities.

QAPLA!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:06 PM

I found Uninstall ProTools, but in every instance I click clean uninstall, the beach ball of doom shows up, and then nothing happens.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM

I also found the upgrade pages very confusing. There didn't seem to be a simple link that did that.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceheart View Post
I found Uninstall ProTools, but in every instance I click clean uninstall, the beach ball of doom shows up, and then nothing happens.
Why are you trying to uninstall PT? If this is related to changing your oSX version don't sweat it as reformating the drive will take care of uninstalling PT.
Quote:
I also found the upgrade pages very confusing. There didn't seem to be a simple link that did that.
You have to pay attention to what PT upgrade plan you want as there are several. There's a monthly subscription plan, a yearly plan, etc. The yearly plan gets you a year of PT & updates & support; after that year you are no longer going to get updates or support unless you pay for each year after that. It's a mess I'll say that to figure out what to get; maybe one of the moderators can help you out. Ordinarily I'd say get in touch with Southside Music here but I believe he's still on holiday - drop him a PM anyway.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 PM

I inserted my hardcopy of ProTools and went to installer, and it said this version requires a 10.6.something or higher...

My system is a OSX 10.10.5

This isn't making any sense. I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall. This is twilight zone stuff it seems.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM

I'm guessing any kind of update involves money?
Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I inserted my hardcopy of ProTools and went to installer, and it said this version requires a 10.6.something or higher...

My system is a OSX 10.10.5

This isn't making any sense. I can't uninstall, I can't reinstall. This is twilight zone stuff it seems.
None of this makes sense because you haven't given us full system and exactly what you're trying to do. What is a 'hardcopy of ProTools'? Also what is this '10.6' something you're talking about? Google is your friend on how to manually uninstall PT.
Quote:
I'm guessing any kind of update involves money?
Yes. Reinstatement for PT which isn't cheap. As well as updates for all your third party plugins.

Again - if you want to keep OSX 10.10.5 you're going to need either PT11.3.2 or some version of PT12. Or if you want to backdate to OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 you're going to need a full OSX installer and not the combo updates which are freely available.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Sorry.
Hardcopy = CD/DVD copy
10.6 minimal OS requirement for mac
My OS is a 10.10, well above the requirement.
I'm running a mac cleaner, and going to update my whole computer.

I was trying to reinstall the whole program after manually uninstalling.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry.
Hardcopy = CD/DVD copy
10.6 minimal OS requirement for mac
My OS is a 10.10, well above the requirement.
I'm running a mac cleaner, and going to update my whole computer.

I was trying to reinstall the whole program after manually uninstalling.
That PT version on the cd/dvd is way old.
You won't be able to install PT10 on OSX 10.10.5 unless you muck about with the installer. PT10 is not and never will be made to work on Yosemite or above. Here's the compatibility chart page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

Those cleaning programs are a waste of money and time and can be dangerous. I've already given you what you're going to have to do to keep running PT in a couple of scenarios. If you're going to update your computer again I suggest getting a hold of OSX 10.8.5 from someone, installing that and then reinstall PT10 and all your plugins.

QAPLA!