Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Which Sampler

I am using PT 7.x with an HD Acell System on a G5 dual 2.5 machine. I want to purchase a sampler but don't know anything about them with regards to Pro Tools. I use Mach 5 with my Motu setup at home and that works well. For work I am researching Kontakt, Giga, or MAch 5. Do any of these work better on a Pro Tools system? It seems that there are more sample libraries available for Giga but the universal aspect of MAch 5 seems appealing. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Which Sampler

What do you want a sampler to do - is a strong library your priority, or are you after functionality?

I like MachFive for its importing capabilities for my own personal library, but compared to other products, its bundled library is good rather than extensive. It's also very tweakable. Version 2 has been due for nearly 18 months (you may know this already), so don't hold your breath. The audio quality is fine in Pro Tools.

Kontakt has its own set of issues, although it is very functional and the library is supposed to be good.

Then there's this: Yellow Tools' Independence - Click Here - and follow the link to their website.

I also nicked this from elsewhere on this forum: Giga Virtual Instrument - Click Here

And you've got ROMplers - sample libraries with their own dedicated plug-in but without the ability to add your own samples - Sampletank, Trilogy/Atmosphere/Stylus and hundreds of others. Would these work best?
Old 05-06-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Which Sampler

Quote:
I am using PT 7.x with an HD Acell System on a G5 dual 2.5 machine. I want to purchase a sampler but don't know anything about them with regards to Pro Tools.
Are you an orchestral type or pop? Do you like tweaking sample zones or leave them alone once you load a patch? Do you want your effects integrated in the sampler or do you use outside effects more?

I personally use Sampletank 2 and Reason as my samplers. In ST2 I can load certain Akai libraries but only up to a certain point. Making custom patches in ST2 forget about it unless I made them in another program and translated them somehow.

In Reason's NN-XT/NN-19 I can make my own sampler patches but ReWire is sometimes unpleasant. For the most part though I am a big fan of Reason's sampler studio.