Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Intermittent instrument and MIDI tracks

For some reason, when I create a new session from scratch, the instrument and MIDI tracks are dead for no aparent reason. All ins and outs are configured correctly but I can't get MIDI signal to the track or the synth. But here's where it gets wierd - I have older sessions created in my current version of PTLE (7.0) that everything works fine on! I can pull up these sessions at any time and add instrument or MIDI tracks and all my synths and drums work as expected. Now for even more wierdness... Since this problem started, there have been a couple times that I create a new session and magically, everything works. These sessions are always fine from then on. Man, I think my computer is out to get me.

Anyone ever run into this problem?
My sessions are 24 bit 44.1 WAV. I'm on OSX 10.4.6, G5 dual 2GHZ with 2GB of ram. Midisport 8X8. More and more gray hair...
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Intermittent instrument and MIDI tracks

Yes, it seems to be related to creating tracks, de-activating/ re-activating tracks, Option-dragging sends, re-assigning I/O's etc... The old "All notes off" fixes this for me.

I've actually "recorded" blank midi tracks many times since version 7, but now I've started to check the midi meter before recording.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Nope - All notes off didn't work for me. Still have the problem. I've tried opening a new session and the first thing I do is create an instrument track, put in an Xpand or Atmosphere or DFHS or whatever, and nothing. No signal, no meters, no nothing. By the way, I cant get any MIDI to my external synths either so I don't think my particular problem has anything to do with moving VI's. Why would the instrument and MIDI tracks on some sessions work perfectly and as expected, then on other sessions they dont? It seems random. This makes no sense. Is it a bug?
Digi?.....
Can you help a brutha out?.....
What? ......
75 bucks?.....
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Ok, I've got one other thing you could check. I haven't noticed if it's session-related somehow, but I sometimes "lose" the MOTU midi interface. When I check AMS it's greyed out. To fix it I turn the midi interface off, and then back on again. Then it'll show up as normal in AMS.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:55 PM

Think I **may** have found the problem. Seems Final Cut Express is thwarting my mojo. I installed it a while back, but didn't notice any PTLE issues. A while later, software update updated some stuff, including Final Cut. I didn't work with any new sessions that contained any MIDI for quite a while after that so unfortunately I don't know if the MIDI stuff started acting up after the initial install of FCE or after the update. But whatever - I deleted Final Cut and it looks like the problem is now gone.
Final Cut Express does not have an uninstall, so heres a link with instructions...
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93688