Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Using Track Commit with Rewire

TC works great with regular instrument tracks, but I can't figure out how to use with a Rewire like Reason or Reaper. In a typical Rewire setup I have the Rewire VI on the instrument track, but use any number of MIDI tracks to play various instruments on the Rewire instrument. I then route the audio from the Rewire instruments back to a PT Aux track for further processing.

I tried to use TC on a Reaper Rewire setup with only one VI in Reaper, played by a MIDI track with the output going into a PT Aux track. No combination of track select or alt-shifts etc will render the track to audio via TC. What's the trick?
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2018.12
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: Using Track Commit with Rewire

Without seeing your setup I can only guess but it's totally possible to commit Rewired stuff on or offline. Hopefully we'll have some workflow videos or walkthroughs on this soon but try this. make an edit selection for the length you want your reason output or outputs to be rendered for, open the commit dialog, choose edit selection, and check the consolidate check box... If you need to commit multiple outputs from reason simultaneously that are already routed to separate tracks in pro tools, do the same thing just grow the edit selection down across all of the tracks getting input from reason via the rewire plug-in
Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@@vid View Post
Without seeing your setup I can only guess but it's totally possible to commit Rewired stuff on or offline. Hopefully we'll have some workflow videos or walkthroughs on this soon but try this. make an edit selection for the length you want your reason output or outputs to be rendered for, open the commit dialog, choose edit selection, and check the consolidate check box... If you need to commit multiple outputs from reason simultaneously that are already routed to separate tracks in pro tools, do the same thing just grow the edit selection down across all of the tracks getting input from reason via the rewire plug-in
Thank you for this. Checking "Consolidate Clips" did the trick. Rewire is now working with Track Commit both online and offline.

When Consolidate Clips was not checked I was only getting silence on the committed track.

Out of curiosity, why is it necessary to check Consolidate Clips when using TC with Rewire?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
Out of curiosity, why is it necessary to check Consolidate Clips when using TC with Rewire?
As a guess, I'd say when Consolidate Clips is selected, PT flattens and prints all the audio of the selection like a "stream" as one clip, whereas the other way it's looking for and rendering each clip from the timeline and since there are none, you get silence.

Just a guess.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Avid

Are you using aux tracks? If so, in some rewire configs there is no local clip information within Pro Tools on internal tracks feeding the aux inputs or even midi clips feeding Reason to tell those Aux Tracks where to start and stop rendering. So checking consolidate is the only way to force the algorithm to render for the length of the selection. In a case where some midi triggering Reason is in Pro Tools on an Instrument track and the Rewire plug-in is also on that same instrument track you wouldn't have to check consolidate.

Another simpler way to say it is that Commit depends on clip boundary information to know when to start and stop rendering unless consolidate is checked. For Aux tracks, we scan backwards down the signal path to look for clip information to know when to render. When consolidate is checked we just render for the entire length of the selection.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@@vid View Post
Are you using aux tracks? If so, in some rewire configs there is no local clip information within Pro Tools on internal tracks feeding the aux inputs or even midi clips feeding Reason to tell those Aux Tracks where to start and stop rendering. So checking consolidate is the only way to force the algorithm to render for the length of the selection. In a case where some midi triggering Reason is in Pro Tools on an Instrument track and the Rewire plug-in is also on that same instrument track you wouldn't have to check consolidate.

Another simpler way to say it is that Commit depends on clip boundary information to know when to start and stop rendering unless consolidate is checked. For Aux tracks, we scan backwards down the signal path to look for clip information to know when to render. When consolidate is checked we just render for the entire length of the selection.
I was using Ableton with Aux tracks in my test.

Thank you for the great explanation. Makes perfect sense now!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Hey guys. thanks a bunch. I had not tried selecting across the aux track timeline or using consolidate clips. But it makes sense. Will give this a go shortly. Much appreciated!
Pro Tools 2018.12
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 PM

Yup That all worked. Thanks!!
Pro Tools 2018.12
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6