Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Default FXpansion VST To RTAS Wrapper on HD?

Anyone using this, and VST plugins on their HD systems?

- Is it Stable?
- Does it report Delays back to the host properly?

Or is this a Can of worms I'd rather leave alone?

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Re: FXpansion VST To RTAS Wrapper on HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Anyone using this, and VST plugins on their HD systems?

- Is it Stable?
- Does it report Delays back to the host properly?

Or is this a Can of worms I'd rather leave alone?
I 've been using it fine for years! its still working in pt8 on Leopard with a few issues! some display problems and a few plugs won't wrap etc, but FXpansion no longer support or bug fix it, so its days are numbered.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
...but FXpansion no longer support or bug fix it, so its days are numbered.
I think FXpansion's point-of-view is "If it ain't too broke, I ain't gonna spend any time fixing it."

Here are some responses from the forum:

There are minor issues with the wrapper running under Leopard, as you have discovered. They don't affect the functionality of wrapped plugins and as such it's hard to justify an update (there are MANY other factors involved - it's not just a case of changing a few lines of code). This is why we currently don't have an answer to "Will we get an update or not?".
--------------------------------------------------
btw.. all current issues with the wrappers are covered in the product FAQs.
--------------------------------------------------
Update to do what, exactly? We've had QA do an initial pass with PT8 and things are looking OK, so unless problems pop up out of the woodwork, there doesn't seem to be a need right now.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2019.10, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 AM

It will be interesting to see how UA get around the probs with preset menus displaying incorrectly/not at all, as they use a version of this to wrap the UAD plugs, and I had a message from their support to say probs will be fixed in next UAD update.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Amazing attitude by fxpansion.
Don't they realize that people actually PAID for their product?
They have an obligation to fix the known issues reported by their users.
BTW, I bought it but stopped using it pretty much straight away. It made PT very unstable for me. Maybe because most of the VSTs I tried were free and not very well coded, or maybe because it really is unstable.
Whatever the case, their attitude will mean I never buy their product again.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Amazing attitude by fxpansion.
Don't they realize that people actually PAID for their product?
They have an obligation to fix the known issues reported by their users.
BTW, I bought it but stopped using it pretty much straight away. It made PT very unstable for me. Maybe because most of the VSTs I tried were free and not very well coded, or maybe because it really is unstable.
Whatever the case, their attitude will mean I never buy their product again.

Hey, ya think? I've been using it for a few years with no problems. It is most definitely not unstable on my system. I think most users would report the same. But it's a wrapper, not a "plugin sanitizer." It's not going to polish coding turds.

I'm glad fxpansion did what it took to develop the VST wrapper. It's a fantastic tool, and it probably wasn't easy to produce it. When you think about it, it's a wonder it actually works, considering the proprietary nature of the Pro Tools operating environment.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Ferrari View Post
Hey, ya think? I've been using it for a few years with no problems. It is most definitely not unstable on my system. I think most users would report the same. But it's a wrapper, not a "plugin sanitizer." It's not going to polish coding turds.

I'm glad fxpansion did what it took to develop the VST wrapper. It's a fantastic tool, and it probably wasn't easy to produce it. When you think about it, it's a wonder it actually works, considering the proprietary nature of the Pro Tools operating environment.
Just for the sake of it, I just tried a couple of plugins that had VST installers along with their RTAS versions by re-installing the wrapper. It worked for a while but I got the not enough power error. Ah well. Out it goes, again.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Well the UAD update 5.3 seems to still wrap the plugs at the end of installation, although there is no presentation of this onscreen like there used to be. I guess they've pinched some of the fxpansion code and integrated it into the installer. They've also re-saved all the presets as protools settings now to get around the vst wrapper preset display probs. So unfortunately that doesn't help with any other wrapped plugs.