Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Default PT 8 to PT 10 Template level issues

Hello all,

I recently had a show bounced due to an -10 dB overage (hit -8) on my M&E split which is strange considering I have limiters (Massey L2007) on all my stems set to -10.5 dB. I'm thinking this is due to my templates created in PT 8 and having recently upgraded to 10 there was something funny going on.

Has anyone experienced screwy level issues when opening PT 8 templates in PT 10? The templates were 48k/24 bit and I've been going to 32bit floating in my new sessions. Perhaps the increased dynamic range in the 32bit session was a factor? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Default Re: PT 8 to PT 10 Template level issues

i'm guessing thats where its at....did your limiters change when you went to PT10?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM

do you have a meter capable of measuring intersample peaks? the 2007 may not catch those.

I often see things that are limited with the usual suspects (waves L1 and L2, maxim etc.) have true peak values 2db over, most of the measurement tools the NOC will use have true peak metering (tektronix etc.)

MKD Creative

HOBO Audio
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 PM

I've seen problems migrating templates from 6 to 7, 7 to 8, 8 to 9...
Best practice: new PT version, clean install, remake your templates in the current session document format for reliability IMHO.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking this is due to my templates created in PT 8 and having recently upgraded to 10 there was something funny going on.
The first thing I would check is what Diamondschwin suggests, that the limiter is not catching peaks the meter is reading. Upgrading to PT10 is an unlikely cause, in my mind, unless the limiter is just plain broken in PT10. TDM or RTAS? BTW DiamondS, what is NOC? Nuru Oaf Channel? Am I missing the obvious again? I'm always so behind social trends.

Quote:
Has anyone experienced screwy level issues when opening PT 8 templates in PT 10?
Not yet. I only closely checked Sonnox dynamics, and a little less closely Dynamics III though, using a semi-beefy recent mix finished in v8.0.4 to the same session opened into PT10.

Quote:
The templates were 48k/24 bit and I've been going to 32bit floating in my new sessions. Perhaps the increased dynamic range in the 32bit session was a factor?
Maybe something's up with 32bit, I did not compare to them, but seems like you'd instantly spot a 2 db difference in overall level. Transients would not have been the only things altered
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking it's got something to do with the PT 8 to PT 10 upgrade and not an issue with the limiter. I've mixed over a hundred episodes of this show using this template and haven't failed QC once until upgrading to PT 10. I've created a fresh template so hopefully there won't be any more problems, but will be extra careful when doing my layback pass for the next show I mix.

Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Same QC house?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Same network and production company. I ran the dolby media meter and indeed my M&E had 1 or 2 peaks on in. The full mix was fine however.