Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-18-2003, 06:50 AM

Default OS held off interupts for too long

Any one get this error -9093 OS held off interupts for too long? I have read some of the fixes in the answerbase. But has anyone applied a fix to this problem that definitely worked! This happens like clock work during playback. And I know its not a CPU problem.

Digi002
Protools 6.1
Dell Inspiron 3.2 Ghz
1 gig ram
80gig 7200rpm
875 chipset
Old 12-18-2003, 09:59 AM

Default Re: OS held off interupts for too long

I have been dissappointed in the past regrading the Answer-Base not addressing this issue more clearly. Certainly is well discussed in this forum. Below is reprint of some old , good, advise from several members regarding this error.

Hope you see an idea here that will help. Since I disabled my SB card I have not seen the error return in several weeks of operation.

jazzmandan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My problem was exactly what has been well described by many frustrated users on this forum. Its goes by many titles: The Curse of the –9092 & company, …-9093 errors, gun please.. Just do a simple search in this forum on –90, and you will see what the issue is.

<<"The operating system held off interrupts too long. If this occurs too often try increasing the H/W buffer size in the hardware set up Panel (-9094)". Then after trying to make some adjustments I would get my next message "Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often try Reducing the buffer size in the hardware set up panel (-9129)".>>

__________________________________________________ _________________

1-Set recording time from open ended to 6 minutes ( total length of song)

2-make sure HD is DMA and disable network card and be sure to use 7200 rmp disk for audio files

3-disable virus scan in background

4-Try playing with the following options - My Computer ( right click it), properties - advanced - performance - settings - advances - Adjust for best performance, memory usage - programs
I know this is opposite to the recommendations but it has solved many other guys problems

5-Disable RAID or HT if available on your system

6-Right click in the taskbar and select tasl manager. In Processes, right click Protools and raise the priority to high

7-Try setting up a new user profile and log on with that one - you will need to rebuild your desktop but it saved my A**.

8-Some plug-ins have denormalization issues ( usually ona P4). See how you do with no plug-ins and then slowly add till you get the 90xx.

9-INSTALL YOU PT ON YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE - not a separate one. This will kill performance. However, audio files are happier on a dedicated audio drive

10-Disable your SB - it has caused conflicts in some systems.

MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 12-18-2003, 01:53 PM

Make sure you have a qualified FireWire card.. I highly recommend the Adaptec 4300

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-18-2003, 05:10 PM

Rail, are you saying that even if the computer has a built-in firewire port, like the Dell 8600, that using a Adaptec 4300 would decrease the occurance of this error message? Even at lower buffer size settings? If it will, I'll go for it.

Even after adjustments suggested in a session with Digi tech support, I can't even listen to a session with a single track at 128 buffer size without getting an error. Same with recording.

You know, Calvin was experiencing problems after switching to XP Home rather than Pro. A comparison of Pro to Home might yield something.

Thanks for posting some of the fixes, Jazz.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:47 PM

I had the same problem about 2 months ago, finally had Compac call digi, and found the problem was the built in firewire port. Apparently all are not created equal. I bought an Adaptec 4300, which is one of the qualified cards that digi has tested, Problem solved. The built in firewire port is fast enough for a Hard drive, but the 002 is more dependent on simultaneous two way communication through that port, so my solution is the one I have been using for the past month, use the built in firewire port for your external drive, as opposed to plugging the drive into the 002, and buy the 4300 and plug the 002 into that. Your problems should go away. Also make sure any modem, network cards, camera, etc. anything that uses an IRQ (Interupt Request) is disabled in the control panel. All windows systems require IRQ's for each device you have connected, devices you do not need during recording can eat up valuable recources. There are instructions on how to do this in the 002 manual.

Good Luck
BobCat

Old 12-18-2003, 09:10 PM

Thanks, Bobcats.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:26 PM

Just learned that the 4300 is PCI only. Adaptec makes cardbus products but none on them contain the number 4300; they are Fireconnect.