Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 PM

Default I need isolation. HELP!

I usually record bands in one room. Ive been recording drums guitar and bass at the same time. The only problem is, I have to record guitars with a scratch track first. I use a POD for this. Well basically this is just a big waste of time and im looking for a way to isolate an amp. How would you do it? Keep in mind everythings in one room. I dont have any closets, is it possible to build some sort of isolation box ?
i need a little help, thanks
-Shawn
Old 11-09-2003, 10:31 PM

Default Re: I need isolation. HELP!

There are amp Isolation boxes out there but I don't have any idea what they sound like. For micing guitar I like to mic upclose with a dynamic and a few feet away with a condenser. If you get a iso box it's going to limit that kind of micing.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:48 AM

Maybe this could work for you. There are boxes that will change the signal-level and impedance from a line-level signal to a guitar-level. Then feed that signal into the real amp, and use mic's in any way to re-amp it. While recording the first go, place the POD either as a H/W insert, or use a splitter or something. You want to record the clean guitarsound not affected by the POD ofcourse...

Bastiaan
Old 11-10-2003, 05:22 AM

Are you trying to avoid overdubbing?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:24 AM

[I dont have any closets, is it possible to build some sort of isolation box ?
-Shawn

[/QUOTE]

A book was written by David Franz called "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools, Second Edition" which describes exactly what your looking for. He used his bedroom as a recording studio for his band. You can either place the amp outside the room you are recording in or I believe he used a mattress with a comforter or thick blanket to absorb the sound. You can also utilize the amp case if you have one or something similar and cover it with a blanket and use it for isolation. I dont have the book with me today but i can give you more detailed info tomorrow if you still need it.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Man,
I would try getting some partitions, just get some big square pieces of wood and line them with felt then enclose each player in, like put two up to enclose the drums, close of the guitarist etc... it's not ideal but it works.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:22 PM

Im basically just trying to avoid recording scratch tracks when I dont have to. Id rather record the amp sound they want instead of recording a scratch then having them record the amp afterwards. Its a waste of time. Where can I buy these boxes you guys speak of? Or maybe i could just put the amp outside the room and face the grill of the amp the opposite of the room and isolate it. Any other ideas?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:45 PM

here is a link to some instructions on making one.

http://www.amptone.com/g234.htm