Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-02-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Bouncing to Disk and Burning

Good Evening,

I have mastered and "bounced to disk" my tunes. I have roxi that I am using it to burn. The prob is that the file size is 715MB. Obviously way to big.

What have I done incorrectly? by the way 002r PTLE 6.1

Thanks,
Old 11-02-2003, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Bouncing to Disk and Burning

why does that seem like a problem?
You don't say how many tunes, or how much total time... somebody is expected to guess what you're talking about?

Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 PM

Good Questions: I am glad to see you are so helpful and understanding, seeing as it is my first question I must be inexperieced, oh but you, with a thousand or so post must be a genius, therefore, mandatory smartass...:)

32 tracks, 7.5 minutes, 24bit for starters. . .

Thanks for the help...

tobias
Old 11-09-2003, 06:43 PM

That's how many tracks you have in the song.. are we to assume that you bounced your song down to a stereo track at 44.1kHz, 16 bit and it is no longer than 7.5 minutes?

Open a new Pro Tools session and import the stereo track into it and see how long the region is.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-09-2003, 06:54 PM

Stereo tracks at 16 bit are 10 meg/min. 7.5 minutes are 75 meg. No more and no less. 32 tracks at 16 bit x 7.5 min x 5 M/min is 1200 Meg. Sounds like if you calculate the actual amount of tracks, you did not bounce to a stereo file. You might have bounced only a couple of tracks - not the whole session. You bounce what you select.

But I don't even have 500 posts so don't bother listening to me
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-09-2003, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Good Evening,

I have mastered and "bounced to disk" my tunes. I have roxi that I am using it to burn. The prob is that the file size is 715MB. Obviously way to big.

What have I done incorrectly? by the way 002r PTLE 6.1

Thanks,
Greetings!

I'm not sure where things have gone wrong for you but I'll just check a couple of things... (sorry if this sounds silly, you probably know all of this anyway!).

Audio CD's in Roxio usually need to be burnt as 16 bit/44.1 khz stereo interleaved files to work best.

Each audio Cd blank has its own capacity limit. These days, the common ones will fit about 80 minutes of audio. Some of the older smaller discs were 74 minutes. (It was rumoured that the first CDs were made long enough to fit a non-stop performance of Beethoven 9th, that was the deciding factor!) There are some newer, longer versions also.

So when you bounce from PT, it's best to then convert to 16 bit/44.1 and have stereo interleaved files, not multiple mono files. This can be carried out at bounce time or later in another program such as Wavelab etc.

Does this help?

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 11-09-2003, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Good Questions: I am glad to see you are so helpful and understanding, seeing as it is my first question I must be inexperieced, oh but you, with a thousand or so post must be a genius, therefore, mandatory smartass...:)

Thanks for the help...

tobias
Hey smartass, try reading up on how to bounce. If your only bounced session is only 7.5 minutes long, it shouldn't be too big to fit on a CD, since your average CD can hold 74+ minutes of music now should it?

It is advised you READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help...

tobias
Tobias,

i dont want to come off sounding like a jerk, but you asked a question that made no sense. Rail is one of the biggest helps on this forum, and i am 100% sure if you had given him any information whatosever to work with he would have been more then happy to assist you. Obviously you have no idea what bouncing to disk is, nor the procedure to bouncing down for a CD format. You can find this in Chapter 29 of the Pro tools reference guide.

Perhaps you did bounce the session down to a single file, in this case you are having problems identifying the final file and are trying to burn the whole session to disk.

Despite you being insulting let me try to help you.

1. Go to file then select bounce to disk.
2. Select "BWF(.WAV)" for file type
3. "Stereo Interleaved" for Format
4. "16" for resolution. This is the bit resolution for CD's, not 24 bit
5. "44100" For sample rate. This again is the sample rate for CD's. with out 16/44100 Cd players can not play it back.
6. I usually select convert after bounce
7. Bounce
8. A file management window opens with the audio folder of the session opened. In order to keep all the songs of a single recording together i usually hit the button with the folder and a green arrow going out to move back one file level. So instead of "d:\MyRecording\MySong\Audio Files" I will be in "d:\MyRecording\MySong". I usually create all my song sessions inside a master folder i create at the beginning so that i stay more organized. I also creat a folder inside my master folder that i label Masters, and usually a folder called PreMasters for songs in progress that i want to listen to in my car. To create a new folder click the folder button that has an orange spark around it, label it, then double click it to open it. Keeping you mastered files seperate from your audio folder makes it easier when it comes to finding your files for burning to CD.

9. In the file name box type the name of your song or whatever you want to name the bounced file.
10. Click save.

Now a window pops up, you hear the song play in its final format, then it converts the file to its final file format.

To burn the disk. (i dont have roxio so i am assuming)

1. Open roxio.
2. Create a new Song CD, music CD whatever roxio calls it. (label it and whatever if need be)
3. Find the folder where you saved the file to.
4. Drag that file on the CD window. Somewhere on the screen it should give you some representation of how much time on the audio CD you have taken up and how much is left. This indicates that you have been successful.
5. Then burn to disk.

There you have it.

i hope that your attitude changes from your second post. Rail, i am sure just wanted to help. He doenst waste his valuable time trolling this board trying to find people to insult, and the fact that you indicate that is very condesending. As a matter of fact he is probly one of the most respected recording engineers in LA (i think thats right), and has worked on projects i am sure you have probly listened to. He takes time out of his day to help out all of us here whether newbies, semi-pro's, or even pros that admit to not knowing everything. His post was nothing more then trying to get the information out of you for you to be helpable at all.

i dont even know if my post is the kind of help you need, but its my assumption from what little information (even incorrect information) you have givin thus far.

Christian
Old 11-10-2003, 01:12 AM

crs: his second post was in response to mine. Yes, I was... terse

Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 AM

Everybody ease up on the guy! He asked a question because he did not understand, he recieved a response that was a bit 'terse' which would probably be the right word, and he reacted! He wasn't being disrepectful. He was just a bit offended. Everyone here has asked what would be considered a stupid question to someone else, at some time or another, due to lack of experience. You got to start from somewhere. crs177 seemed to have answered his question! Lets keep this forum friendly!