Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-06-2003, 10:40 AM

Default Panning tracks

When mixing how do you pan tracks for stereo output. for example, lets say I have a guitar track and I would like it to be panned mid right and mid left, and i also have a keyboard track and I would like to have that panned hard right and hard left. What is the proper way of doing this? I normally record in mono, the first thing that comes to mind is to duplicate each track and pan accordingly for each side. I also know you can send to a stereo aux track but I believe that would affect all tracks at once. Enlighten me!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Panning tracks

Hello.

I'm not clear on the purpose for what you are asking. Are you simply trying to make the mono track sound fuller? A simple way to accomplish this is to insert a mono-->stereo Slap Delay plugin. Set on side to 100% dry and the other to 100% wet signal. Then adjust the Wet delay between 1ms and 50ms. This will create a large stereo effect. Now just set your pan controls as desired.

(Note: when doing this you might want to check the phase relationship between the two sides to make sure you are not getting any unwanted side effects.)
Command|8
Old 11-06-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Panning tracks

If you're recording in mono, there's no point to duplicating the track and panning one to each side. Since it's the exact same audio, the listener won't perceive any panning. However, if you're wanting a different effect, eq, etc. on each side, then it might be relevant to do it as you're describing. However, in that scenario, try to send the output of the mono track to an aux with a stereo plug-in when possible (so as to save an audio track).

If you're looking to thicken up parts w/ panning, double the part (meaning, actually record the same guitar or keyboard part again on a different track) and pan one to each side. The slight differences in performance from the two takes will give it a thicker feel.

Good luck!