Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Default PT9 w/ RME 9652: random I/O loops problems, need serious help

Hello guys,

after enjoying for few months a very smooth system with Windows 7 32 bit,
Pro Tools 9, HDSP 9652 connected with SSL Alpha Link Madi AX (24 channels connected via ADAT, clock via BNC, SSL Master, RME Slave)
today during a mixing session I had the weirdest problem:

completely random feedbacks loop on completely random channels.

Opening the RME mixer shows signal loops in again, random channels, 5/6, 11/12, 7/8 etc..
I noticed because on one channel I had one of my 1073 hw eq in insert and while playing the mix
i was hearing click and pops. Muting all channels revealed them coming from ch 7, bypassing the hw made it stop.
So at first I thought it was a problem with the hw itself but soon I realized that it was doing it on several channles.

I deleted preferences on PT, I restarted the machine several times, I loaded default setting I/O on PT
I opened a totally new PT project with default setting (after deleting preferences and database)
with just one stereo channel and the master channel and still, the RME mixer is showing loops everywhere and
as soon as I put an hw insert involving one or more of those channels audio is cut out intermittently,
plus clicks and pops like no tomorrow..

Absolute nothing changed in the system since yesterday (which was fine),
it was the same project, the same mix (altho' like I said I tried in other projects, both existing and new)
24 hours difference and the problem popped up..

What this could be cause by? Drivers? W7? PT9?
I'm in the middle of a mixing session for an album and this *definitely* it's gonna be a major problem.

When I first installed the system/PT9 I had the same problems at first, which magically disappeared on their own
It seemed PT, I say this because looking at the RME mixer all the loops/feedback disappear as soon as you close PT.
Meaning, definitely there's no hw connection problem, no hw loop (the system ran smoothly for months anyway),
it's definitely software related. Seemed like PT I/O were somewhat messed up but like I said,
everything was mapped perfectly and they just went away on their own.
Now I can't relay on luck here, I need to find the source and solve the problem :/

Any help would be much appreciated

thank you all in advance
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Re: PT9 w/ RME 9652: random I/O loops problems, need serious help

Nobody?

this is what I get with no audio playing from PT, no audio going in from the
AD, pretty weird.

I just would like to know if it's a RME driver problem or PT9 problem

Since nothing is changed from the day before (when everything was working fine) I can only suppose is something software related that went berzerk,
clicks and pops sound like clock problem, I removed the BNC cable and clocked the SSL/RME via Adat and the problem remains, both with RME and SSL as master, so I again, assume is NOT a clock problem.

Reinstalling PT? (BTW version 9.0.2)
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Re: PT9 w/ RME 9652: random I/O loops problems, need serious help

Avid forum is always so helpful..