Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2023, 11:32 PM

Default ProToolsUltimate with VideoSync5 - nudging problem

Is anyone here able to confirm problem I am seeing when nudging in Pro Tools, where Video Sync isn't following correctly? (I have it working in normal playback) but.....

I am working at 25FPS and the (+ / -) or (, / .) will no not advance the video in Video Sync until I get to frame 13 of the next second. Weird.
So stuck on the same picture for a second, then nudge from frame 12 to 13 and it will do it... ie Nudge back and forth between frame 12 and 13, and it's syncing.

I cannot find the solution to the problem!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 08-08-2023, 02:15 AM

Default Re: ProToolsUltimate with VideoSync5 - nudging problem

Some odd codec that doesn't store every frame? H264?
Via Satellite link or MMC?
Old 08-08-2023, 02:18 AM

Satellite Link. Haven't had issues with H264 previously, but does it with all other codecs.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 08-08-2023, 02:44 AM

Does the same QT play fine inside PT? Is it just the remote link and can you nudge the QT fine inside VS?
Old 08-08-2023, 03:05 AM

Hey Frank. That would be yes and yes.

Old 08-08-2023, 04:16 AM

OK, sounds indeed like some remote control issue. Sorry, no further idea. Maybe ask the VS people as well?
What's odd is that the 12/13 frame is exactly where the stop-frame used to be in the old 24frame PAL video days. Maybe some frame rate mismatch between the session and VS?
Old 08-08-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Does the same QT play fine inside PT? Is it just the remote link and can you nudge the QT fine inside VS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
OK, sounds indeed like some remote control issue. Sorry, no further idea. Maybe ask the VS people as well?
What's odd is that the 12/13 frame is exactly where the stop-frame used to be in the old 24frame PAL video days. Maybe some frame rate mismatch between the session and VS?
Yep, something’s up and have reported to the awesome team at Non-Lethal.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:33 PM

Hi Matt

I've just come across your post looking for a solution to mine.
Up until now I would use number pad 1 and 2 in bar/beat mode to move the playhead in protools and I could use the nudge value to move by frames.
Video Sync 5 on external computer using satellite link and all will follow perfectly.
For some reason now, Video Sync will only update by following the grid value. So I can move in bar and beats, but VS will not update by frame nudge value until it hits the next grid value, which in my case is the next bar.

I've looked everywhere for a solution.

Cheers
Kim
Old 12-21-2023, 10:35 PM

Sorry Kim, I can't remember what I did to get around that and have been on another project using a different workflow.

Old 12-25-2023, 05:43 PM

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply.
I've switched back to MTC and MMC which achieves what I need - I can move bars and beats as well as frames by nudge commands. I had thought satellite mode could do that as well.

Cheers
Kim