Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Re: TTT $299 is way to much, WAY!

This all really depends on how efficiently third party AAX plugins run in 10. When we have a couple of AAX plugins out there in the wild for real world testing, then we will know if it was worth the cost of the upgrade.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I don't understand your problem here?
If your BMW 7 series is running fine and takes you from point A to point B last week and the week before, won't it still do the same next week?
yes I know, I know, the new 2012 BMW 7 has a few new features and the really useful one is the laser guided cruise control so when cars in front slow down the CC also adjusts so you don't have to re-adjust your settings all over again if you are commuting from for work for 50+ miles a week which can be VERY useful, I hear your pain.

And that house in BH (yes I know it costs WAY more) with new marble and inside pool so when it rains you can still swim in all, I know, it's awesome and very useful of you are an avid swimmer, the house you have been in with your family and kids in the last 3 years and slept at night last week and the week before, you can still sleep in it next week right?

I just don't understand why can't you just keep your car till it no longer can take you to work and doesn't run properly or you get enough cash flow to get the newer series in 2015. Or why can't you just stay in your house that is still in great shape and that the kids love and maybe get a bigger house later on when it's a real necessity?

ps: now of coarse if you hare having serious mechanical car issues, or working in wildlife now and the BMW won't suffice to get up the mountain terrain daily or the house has damge, mold, termites, earthquake, job requires moving, etc. I can totally understand the move and upgrade and griping.
A car is not a valid analogy anyway. You're getting an ENTIRE NEW CAR. So it's not like you're paying $85,000 for the 2012 vs the $80,000 you spent on the 2011, and only getting laser cruise. You're getting a completely NEW CAR and laser cruise. With Pro Tools upgrades, you aren't getting a complete new system (Car), you're only getting an upgrade (laser cruise).

Sticking to car analogies, it's like when HID headlights first came out many years ago. It was at minimum a $2000 option on the few cars that even had them available. Now-a-days, HID's are so common that they are only a $200-500 option, and many cars even have them as standard now at no additional cost. Point of the analogy is that the R&D for that tech has already been paid for by the consumer and engineers have moved onto LED lighting. So with Pro Tools, why are we still paying premium prices for HID's lights when other companies are beginning to offer LED lighting in their production vehicles at a similar price?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
A car is not a valid analogy anyway. You're getting an ENTIRE NEW CAR. So it's not like you're paying $85,000 for the 2012 vs the $80,000 you spent on the 2011, and only getting laser cruise. You're getting a completely NEW CAR and laser cruise. With Pro Tools upgrades, you aren't getting a complete new system (Car), you're only getting an upgrade (laser cruise).

Sticking to car analogies, it's like when HID headlights first came out many years ago. It was at minimum a $2000 option on the few cars that even had them available. Now-a-days, HID's are so common that they are only a $200-500 option, and many cars even have them as standard now at no additional cost. Point of the analogy is that the R&D for that tech has already been paid for by the consumer and engineers have moved onto LED lighting. So with Pro Tools, why are we still paying premium prices for HID's lights when other companies are beginning to offer LED lighting in their production vehicles at a similar price?

You are right, my apologies, bad anology and non of it made any sense what so ever at any level. I'll make it a bit simpler.
The film/project that I and everyone else did this year prior to any knowledge of PT10 on their 7-9 that was done. Well..... If PT10 didn't come out till July 2012. We would still be able to do another project with their current system.

Or I can make even slightly simpler. I worked on a film this year on PT9 HD. If the client comes back with part 2 next year I can do the same thing again. And if they come back to me in 2013, I can do it again on my same system. As long as I my gear is getting electricity. This applies to everyone.

I know, I know. This is a horrible analogy and I will get some technical backlash, because it really doesn't apply for some reason. But I still think the 5.1 Feature I mixed this, summer and the client comes back next year another 5.1 feature. I think I can do it again.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
A car is not a valid analogy anyway. You're getting an ENTIRE NEW CAR. With Pro Tools upgrades, you aren't getting a complete new system (Car), you're only getting an upgrade (laser cruise).?
Just because its a digital download of software does NOT mean its not completely new.

Its a perfectly viable analogy and I only presented it as a way to show the lunacy of this whole debacle.

IS the HD upgrade an unfair price compared to the feature set, YES! Are HD users getting the short end of the stick? YES! Are there attractive trade in values for HD hardware? YES!

The fact is that every few years my computer becomes outdated and at least every year computers are upgraded and updated. I need to buy a New computer period. Apple does't offer a trade in when it comes to hardware. Is HDX expensive, yes so is a BMW 7 series, can I afford it? Maybe, but if I can't why would I get so pissed at BMW??

As I said I know there are some legitimate concerns about the price of PT10.

Its just that so many of the reasons I see throw about on here just make no sense to me.

People who are pissed about buying a HD rig recently and then hear that the system is being phased out should only be mad at themselves for not doing proper research. The technology had already been around for 9 years or so, WTF makes one think it would be around for much longer? Maybe cause it was still full price at the time of purchase... well again... New cars come every year, people either wait for a new model or buy one that can work for them in the meantime. Don't get pissed when 5 months later theres a new model.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
On the other hand, a more reasonable upgrade price form 9>11 might entice those who left to come back.
- If so then it will be a slap in the face to those that upgraded from 9 - 10 and then from 10 - 11.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
Just because its a digital download of software does NOT mean its not completely new.
A digital download does NOT include new hardware, therefore making it NOT a complete new system. It's like BMW selling you just the ECM (computer) update for your 750 at nearly a third of the cost of an entire new 750!

And damn, they aren't even giving you the software for free with the purchase of brand new hardware!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Less figuratively and right on topic, for me the $299 for native users are too much to begin with.

I haven't upgraded yet and I'm not sure I will, so I couldn't try it myself. But I watched most of the videos and read a lot about the upgrade.

I think, while there are some nice new features in Pro Tools 10. The price Avid is asking simply seems too high to me. Especially since a lot of the "new features" are either more like bug fixes (input monitoring for native users with CPTK) or catching up to other DAWs.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about Pro Tools 10, but I wished (it was 64-bit already and) the price was actually reasonable.