Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Re: TTT $299 is way to much, WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Y A grand for HD users....it is sick.
Agreed. $1500 for me (I'm still on v8)

Read the thread title and the original post that I responded to. No mention of HD or $1k...

I stand by my words.

$299 is bargain. I would be THRILLED to pay that.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM

The thing I think a lot of people are missing here is this was just a little middle of the road update and they priced it way to hi. The way they price updates the big PT11 rollout is going to be at least what this update cost or more and thats only if you gave in and paid the ridicules $299 and up for this one.

So fast forward to PT11 and you are like me in that you did not update to 10 what are they going to charge me? I can tell you I will not pay it and I think the people like me are the majority and to be honest what are their updates going to have that is not already in other DAWs?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
I think a BMW 7 series cost way too much and I want one to they should reduce the price. If I trade in my old one I get a lot less than I paid for it. They only really updated a few things. Basically its the same, mine is only a 2 years old. If they only realized I can't afford it and they lower the price then I can get one. Oh and theres this house in Beverly Hills I want to but its ridiculously overpriced, I could buy another house and if they don't lower the price I'm gonna. . trust me Im gonna, just forget about that house and buy another house, same bedrooms, bathrooms and everything. How can they charge that.

(Sorry but sarcasm is the only way I can del with all this crazyness, sure some valid points made and even some concessions on avid's part but come on already)

I don't understand your problem here?
If your BMW 7 series is running fine and takes you from point A to point B last week and the week before, won't it still do the same next week?
yes I know, I know, the new 2012 BMW 7 has a few new features and the really useful one is the laser guided cruise control so when cars in front slow down the CC also adjusts so you don't have to re-adjust your settings all over again if you are commuting from for work for 50+ miles a week which can be VERY useful, I hear your pain.

And that house in BH (yes I know it costs WAY more) with new marble and inside pool so when it rains you can still swim in all, I know, it's awesome and very useful of you are an avid swimmer, the house you have been in with your family and kids in the last 3 years and slept at night last week and the week before, you can still sleep in it next week right?

I just don't understand why can't you just keep your car till it no longer can take you to work and doesn't run properly or you get enough cash flow to get the newer series in 2015. Or why can't you just stay in your house that is still in great shape and that the kids love and maybe get a bigger house later on when it's a real necessity?

ps: now of coarse if you hare having serious mechanical car issues, or working in wildlife now and the BMW won't suffice to get up the mountain terrain daily or the house has damge, mold, termites, earthquake, job requires moving, etc. I can totally understand the move and upgrade and griping.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
this was just a little middle of the road update and they priced it way to hi.
If it's so middle of the road update to you, why update at all? I think PT10 is one of greatest Pro Tools updates ever.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
I think a BMW 7 series cost way too much and I want one to they should reduce the price. If I trade in my old one I get a lot less than I paid for it. They only really updated a few things. Basically its the same, mine is only a 2 years old. If they only realized I can't afford it and they lower the price then I can get one. Oh and theres this house in Beverly Hills I want to but its ridiculously overpriced, I could buy another house and if they don't lower the price I'm gonna. . trust me Im gonna, just forget about that house and buy another house, same bedrooms, bathrooms and everything. How can they charge that.

(Sorry but sarcasm is the only way I can del with all this crazyness, sure some valid points made and even some concessions on avid's part but come on already)
If you want to use the car analogy I can counter that. Yes, in the UK they should lower the price of the BMW as they cost far more here here then they do in the US and many other countries. In the motor industry in the UK is known as 'Treasure Island'

Why do they charge so much in the UK? Is it a better car in the UK then in the US? No, they charge so much because people pay it and they can get away with it.

Al
Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Unhappy Re: TTT $299 is way to much, WAY!

Mugs Island is more like it Al!

Surely companies know that we can all see the prices that people pay in other countries now.

What the bleep are Avid doing anyway? Surely its about time they made some kind of move to counter all the bad feeling? I don't think a free trial is going to cut it any more.

Please Avid close this thread and put me out of my misery!!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Without the RAM features that are in PTHD 10, PT 10 upgrade is way over priced at $300. (yes the PTHD upgrade is over priced too).

BMW works independently. Its more like PT is half the car and your computer is the other half. It is very frustrating when one half of the car is preventing some of the features of the other half of the car from working.

The problem is that if everyone waits, and Avid tries to make upgrading from PT9 - PT11 $600, that will see lots of people change to other software. That will make future upgrades even more expensive. Why? because the more PT users there are, the more people that costs can be shared between.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNocturn View Post
The problem is that if everyone waits, and Avid tries to make upgrading from PT9 - PT11 $600, that will see lots of people change to other software. That will make future upgrades even more expensive. Why? because the more PT users there are, the more people that costs can be shared between.
On the other hand, a more reasonable upgrade price form 9>11 might entice those who left to come back.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

I posted my complaint. Enough ! They slowly added things that other programs had bundled right off the bat. I had to pay $500 for Digitranslator. I reluctantly went to PT9 , again getting things other programs already had. Now they are making a big deal with the new features that DP that I also use has had for a while. Also I am still waiting for off line bounce. That will come out in PT11 and will cost us a fair penny.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
If it's so middle of the road update to you, why update at all? I think PT10 is one of greatest Pro Tools updates ever.
I have said I will not update and this update does not come close to the PT8 update, not by a long shot or even the PT9 update.