Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Default MIDI Drums are making me crazy

So, before anything else, I am kind of a newbie to audio production...I'm just a notch or two above beginner.

Now, I'm trying to add drums to my Pro Tools sessions.

I purchased BFD a little while back, hated it when I first got it, but just this week purchased some grooves from Groovemonkee, and have been using the groove librarian feature...with the GM package, BFD has become a little better. But it's still making me a bit crazy.

I'm wondering if I'm going about this all wrong. Some folks have suggested EZ Drummer, however my current OS (10.3.9) doesn't support it. I don't really know what other options there are.

There are some specific problems I'm having with BFD in PT, which maybe someone can advise me on. (the problems seem almost endless, but here are a couple that might be easy to answer):

I am using notes to trigger grooves, but when I add another note at the same time the groove is triggered, (like a crash symbol for instance), the extra note doesn't play correctly. If it is a symbol, when I click on the MIDI note by itself, it plays fine, but when my track is playing, it plays but then the sound gets cut off almost immediately after getting triggered. And, yes I have polyphonic mode turned on.

The other thing that sucks-maybe this is just a limitation, and there's nothing I can do about this. I am working on a track with kind of a half-time feel, and I am running it at 62 BPM, because there are no beats that sound right at 124 BPM. However, at this tempo all the drum fills are just slow as hell....I cannot find any drum fills in GM that work at this tempo....maybe this is a limitation of the GM grooves, and not PT or BFD. Don't know if there is anything I can do about this??

Also, I'm just not really crazy about the grooves, to be honest. This is the only package I have experience with, so I don't really know what else is out there. Am I missing something and just need to dig a little deeper, or are there other options that might be easier to work with. There's just all these funky/unusual beats...almost none of which are working with a simple straight 4/4 rock tune. There's only a small handful of simple straightforward beats that are working with a simple 4/4 rhythm, and I could probably have just banged one of these out on my keyboard. And, like I said, I haven't been able to work with any of the fills.

Anyone out there!? Please!

Should I just ditch the BFD/Groovemonkee combo all together and go some other route?

It's frustrating me way more than it's succeeding in inspiring my creativity.

A lot of questions, I know.... (but I'm sure you were here once too, ) Thanks for any help at all!

Elliott
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: MIDI Drums are making me crazy

Seriously, BFD is great once you know how to use it.

You might benefit from my tutorials.

Also, why are you using the GM versions of the Groovemonkey grooves? You should be using the BFD versions.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-13-2007, 04:03 AM

Yes, you're missing the RX2 files !!!

Drag'n drop a RX2 file from menu Windows -> Workspace into a PT audio track. MIDI is old fasion....hehe

Download free RX2 files 1
Download free RX2 files 2
Dell 43" 4K LED P4317Q
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
Cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Cabinet: Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black
Disk1: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 SSD
Disk2: Samsung 840 PRO SSD
Disk3: Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Power: Corsair RM750x, 750W PSU
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Seriously, BFD is great once you know how to use it.

You might benefit from my tutorials.

Also, why are you using the GM versions of the Groovemonkey grooves? You should be using the BFD versions.
I'm still struggling with BFD man....I just can't get any of the grooves to fit my music, and the fills that came with Groove Monkee suck....I don't know if I'm just using them incorrectly, or what. Are there any better groove packages out there?

Maybe Pro Tools just sucks for MIDI drums...

I've been through all your tutorials. Good stuff, but most of it is stuff I already know. And the PT7 tutorials don't apply to me, yet.

One thing that stood out was the ability to copy the MIDI from a groove into a session...this would be helpful, because then I could modify the MIDI groove to do exactly what I want it to do, but I couldn't get this to work. Is this a limitation of my current version of Pro Tools (6.4), that i can't get this to work? Or is it possible that I'm doing something wrong?

I feel like I'm stuck in a bind at the moment in regards to getting better at audio production, and hopefully there is at least someone out there willing to help me....

The problem is, I'm at a point where all the beginner stuff is too basic for me, but all the advanced stuff is just over my head. (I went to the TAXI road rally this weekend, and attended a bunch of production classes) I'll either sit in an audio production class, and know pretty much everything, and not learn anything new, or sit through a class and hardly understand a thing. I can't find anything in between, and I really want to get better at this.

I'm just kind of stuck with where to turn at the moment.

Any help, advice, etc... greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM

...and RX2 ?
Dell 43" 4K LED P4317Q
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
...and RX2 ?
I tried those links....I don't think you can use them with Pro Tools....
Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Ohhhh, yes.

Download a RX2 file to your harddisk.
Go into Protools.

1) Set tempo
2) Menu: Windows -> Workspace
3) Dragn drop a RX2 file into a stereo audio track

....then smile and be happy

Now you can (in grid mode) cut, paste, copy, dublicate......

From now on you will forget about MIDI and go for the RX2 files.....!!!!

Forget about MIDI and sequencing...in Protools you will cut, paste audio because this is the fastest way of working without using a lot of plugins and other stuff that will kill your PC performance.
Dell 43" 4K LED P4317Q
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Don't forget that when using REX or ACID files, the tracks should be tick based tracks, not sample based.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 11-14-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Ohhhh, yes.

Download a RX2 file to your harddisk.
Go into Protools.

1) Set tempo
2) Menu: Windows -> Workspace
3) Dragn drop a RX2 file into a stereo audio track

....then smile and be happy

Now you can (in grid mode) cut, paste, copy, dublicate......

From now on you will forget about MIDI and go for the RX2 files.....!!!!

Forget about MIDI and sequencing...in Protools you will cut, paste audio because this is the fastest way of working without using a lot of plugins and other stuff that will kill your PC performance.
Still not happening, jack....maybe this doesn't work in PT6.4??
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
maybe this doesn't work in PT6.4??
That is absolutely correct. THat feature wasn't introduced until much later than 6.4

I would also like to point out; that is the first time in this thread you have mentioned which version of Pro Tools you are using. The only real mention you gave was when you said that the PT 7 tutorials don't apply to you. That could mean anything, not just that you aren't using 7.x.

That would have definitely been good information to know early on... a lot of the replies we have given you have been 7.x related.

The newer versions are really much better for what you are trying to do, and I highly recommend an upgrade.