Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-29-2020, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Compatibility with MacOS Catalina

I've not gotten the MIDI ERROR message at all.

I recently did the upgrade to 10.15.5, and while 11R control panel reports that there is no driver present, the editor works perfectly fine.

I don't use 11R as an interface, rather I've been using it with Clarett 8PreX via S/PDIF (before that with 003R+). However, with this Catalina update and no driver present, there is no way to change the sample rate to match Clarett.

Recording digitally at default works fine, but if you need to record at a higher sample rate, 11R will not follow so you tend to get clicks and pops and so on.

I've taken away the digital connections, and am recording analog. I can still get wet and dry signals of course, and can re-amp to my hearts desire, but I cannot seem to be able to embed the rig settings in the track. Not a big deal, and really never has been for me. It does use up more IO on the interface, but I've got it all patched through the patch bay so it is easily changed when I need it to be.

11R editor has never seemed to be an issue at all with the OS updates for me.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 06-29-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 AM

1. Disconnect the USB cable from Eleven rack
2.Select the descritation frequency on the front panel Eleven Rack
3.Turn on the USB cable
Old 06-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Bob -

Not clear what is going on here, you must have sample rate conversion in the interface for this to work at all when there is a sample rate mismatch. Or do you mean a lot worse than a few pops and clicks?

If it was only clicks and pops then you likely you do not have clocking set up correctly. If the Eleven Rack only has digital outputs to your interface you need to get that interface clocking from the Eleven Rack.

I am not sure this interface dies SRC, but in case it is... get the sample rates set correctly, and clocking set correctly.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Bob -

Not clear what is going on here, you must have sample rate conversion in the interface for this to work at all when there is a sample rate mismatch. Or do you mean a lot worse than a few pops and clicks?

If it was only clicks and pops then you likely you do not have clocking set up correctly. If the Eleven Rack only has digital outputs to your interface you need to get that interface clocking from the Eleven Rack.

I am not sure this interface dies SRC, but in case it is... get the sample rates set correctly, and clocking set correctly.
Thanks Darryl, but I’ve no issues using 11R.

I’ve been using it simply as a guitar signal processor for years via S/PDIF. Clarett 8preX was always the clock source and 11R was sync’d to it.

Catalina rendered the driver for 11R unusable for syncing sample rate with my interface, or even changing the sample from the 11R control panel on the Mac. Used to sync with Clarett if I happened to change sample rates on Clarett. No longer.

As I said, I can record digitally (via S/PDIF) if I leave the sample rate at default with no issues at all. However, since 11R driver no longer functions, if I change sample rate to, say 48k, I’ll get some pops and clicks. More as I depart farther from 44.1k.

No biggie. I solved it by simply sending all of my signals to the Clarett 8pre X via analog. I can still do all I need to do, and not worry about clocking.

11R editor works as it always has, no issues.

I guess I had forgotten that one can set the sample rate of 11R from the 11R menu itself (if I ever knew that at all). But if it’s a matter of jacking around disconnecting usb, etc, I’ll pass. I’m content sending analog signals. I can send rig and dry, and send back dry for re-amp if I want. Although I tend to use Eleven MKll on the dry signal if want a different or additional rig sound.

The point of my previous reply was simply that I’ve never gotten the midi error message with either a newer version of Pro Tools or Mac OS, and I’ve not had any issues with 11R editor with the newer versions of the aforementioned updates.

11R continues to be my main guitar signal processor for the studio, albeit Catalina caused a challenge or two. The rig embed in track thing is a non issue for me, just like the caps lock light on my Pro Tools keyboard not working since Catalina. Just not a huge thing. Actually the caps lock light is a bigger thing to me.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Your set, but yes disconnecting the USB cable as uncklbuck mentioned catches lots of folks out. Got me first time.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:48 AM

Ahh yes. Good tip, thank you Darryl and unklbuck.

Just played around with it a little this morning. I have 11R racked in my Argosy desk and it is a PITA to get to the USB cable. SOOOOO..... since I power the interfaces before I power the computer, I simply changed the sample rate from the 11R front panel menu to match whatever my interface is set to. (I either forgot about that or never realized it to begin with.)

That worked great, and would be a good work around to the 11R driver not working in Catalina.

It gives me more options. I can still record digitally, (just think ahead and match sample rate before I power up the 'puter) OR record analog, which I have come to prefer.

The only downside of analog is that it does use up a lot of IO on the interface. But, at least in my case, it isn't that bad. I still have enough free channels.

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|

Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 PM

The Eleven Rack is Eleven years old! Will I miss using it with my new Catalina MacBook? Yes. Are there loads of other better sounding options? Yes. The lack of Catalina drivers for an 11-year-old interface doesn't bother me. Nothing lasts forever and life goes on.

What bothers me is that these units were still being sold by Avid until June of 2019. Latter that year, Catalina comes out and, essentially, bricks the Eleven Rack's full, intended usage. Then, fast forward to July 2020 and Avid remains unable or unwilling to go out on a limb and provide a timeline for Catalina support. In reality, there is no guaranty that Avid will ever update the Eleven Rack drivers before its end-of-support date in 2024.

Sadly, in a similar way, there is no guaranty that I will purchase Avid hardware or subscriptions before 2024.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 AM

I'm no cork-sniffing tone snob, but I know what I like. I've gone through so many options for getting the guitar tones I want - tube heads into isolation cabinets, palmer load boxes, AXE FX (1, II, II), Kemper, too many software sims etc. I keep coming back to the long-in-the-tooth 11R. Because the feel and tone of the models are outstanding - specifically love the subtle but noticeable differences between the 50 watt Plexiglas, 100 Watt, Variac model, the JCM - and the Hot-Rod Soldanos. *For me* - they're the best sounding, most gratifying to play models of these amps. And it is so simple to use. Such a shame AVID let it die.
Oh well. I hope it keeps working for a while yet.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
I'm no cork-sniffing tone snob, but I know what I like. I've gone through so many options for getting the guitar tones I want - tube heads into isolation cabinets, palmer load boxes, AXE FX (1, II, II), Kemper, too many software sims etc. I keep coming back to the long-in-the-tooth 11R. Because the feel and tone of the models are outstanding - specifically love the subtle but noticeable differences between the 50 watt Plexiglas, 100 Watt, Variac model, the JCM - and the Hot-Rod Soldanos. *For me* - they're the best sounding, most gratifying to play models of these amps. And it is so simple to use. Such a shame AVID let it die.
Oh well. I hope it keeps working for a while yet.
Yes. Completely agree. Chris Townsend and the others that shipped the Eleven Rack, and did the Eleven plugins did a fantastic job.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:33 AM

I enjoyed his blog posts back-in-the-day. I wonder where he landed.