Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Do one session with Logic -- have a pencil and paper handy.

In all honesty, when I use Logic it practically predicts my next move. When asking the question, "can it do this" it's nearly always answered with, "yes, and I can do it in several different ways. And have you considered this?"
Except when you need to copy sends from one track to another...😂

Every DAW is good at stuff, and maybe not so good at others. Using 2 in conjunction to get the job done is not a terrible thing.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:38 AM

I'm in the 32 track limit group..... seems a lil silly these days to me.... even if it were to change to a 32 track limit and not just the first 32.... or they could just simply allow 64 even if this is still limited to whats out there in the market place.

But to me I can actually live with this it wouldn't push me in another direction DAW-wise although the 6101 error (which I have managed to sort out) nearly pushed me over to another DAW. But ultimately I prefer PT's workflow and its keyboard shortcut sys..... just seems ergonomic to me. also I love the track comping feature in PT.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
(I’d love to see ARA2 support for Melodyne and some improvements in Elastic Audio algorithms to name a few).
I agree! I would like to see ARA2 and better stability at lowers latency. These are the two most lacking things for me.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM

I still greatly prefer Logic for MIDI, and Quick Swipe comping and the automation curves are very cool. Other than that, I prefer absolutely everything about the Pro Tools layout, look, routing flexibility and overall operation. Doing mostly post, I'd call the lack of clip organization the most glaring weakness. Expanding plugin and send slots would also be nice.

(Full disclaimer: I'm not nearly as fluent on Logic X as I was on Logic 9, so I may not be fully versed in all the improvements)
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 PM

After all these years - still Logic for midi and PT for audio. If Logic had the same audio editing I would be Logic all the time.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:36 PM

We run Ableton Live10 Suite aswell as PT2018Ultimate and Logic X has got a long way to come close to Live10 for midi and overall awesome features.

Along with Push2 Ableton is on top of the foodchain for sure! Love it!

And with Live10 now has way better touchscreen support as we use 2 Raven MTi2 screens for both PT and Live10.

LogicX is a accomplished DAW but has a lot to be desired for.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingy View Post
Actually the MIDI does suck compared to Logic (and most certainly Cubase). Avid has made some improvements last year but still a ways to go.

ARA support (or built in pitch) would be nice. As would Bιzier curves in automation. Folders tracks. VST support (or AU - lots of great plugins still don’t support AAX and it doesn’t seem to be changing).
Plugin Boutique makes a plugin called Scaler which brings a lot of MIDI functionality to Pro Tools that other DAWs already have included.

Here's a video

SCALER | Unleash MIDI in Pro Tools
https://youtu.be/yHKS-joawDo

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 PM

First of all, I am a totally committed Pro Tool user so I'm not trying to suggest switching or anything. That said, I was quite surprised by what Nuendo has to offer that PT doesn't have. This article explains many of the different features that are possible in a modern DAW. There are many(as good as PT is) ways for PT to improve it seems.

https://www.asoundeffect.com/nuendo-...ound+Effect%29
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
1. Stability. Pro Tools feels like you're constantly walking on egg shells compared to working in other DAWs. I think I've actually developed a mild case of PTSD over the past decade because of it. There's always that little nagging feeling of unease when tracking a band at low buffer sizes..
+1

I'd actually add to that pretty much anything in PT. That's not to be negative, just a fact. You can be working happily away doing pretty much any task and the poof, the thing crashes!

That said, I think I am seeing less crashes in the recent 2018 iterations

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Plugin Boutique makes a plugin called Scaler which brings a lot of MIDI functionality to Pro Tools that other DAWs already have included.

Here's a video

SCALER | Unleash MIDI in Pro Tools
https://youtu.be/yHKS-joawDo
Yes we have Scaler installed on all macs here. Really useful plugin for more advanced midi stuff but those things are already included in most Daw’s ... but PT ...

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————