Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM

Default C'mon Man!!!! (Pro Tools and Hyperthreading)

Avid needs to get off their buttocks and tweaks Pro Tools for utilizing HYPERTHREADING. We are in 2019 and PTs is the ONLY DAW I've found that has issues using HT!!!

I get all kinds of dropouts just using one single AU synth. I have an i7 4770k with 2400mhz 16gb RAM all on SSD. Also I am using El Capitan. There is no reason for this Avid, none at all. I should not have to just go into my bios just to disable HT. What bothers me, on the dropouts, I am watching my CPU utilization and they don't even touch 8%, just core 4 is being used and boom dropouts. I dont' get no errors just the normal dropout .

Avid is adding this and that with all these nice cool features but lacking HT support is just plain stupid. I've used a few other DAWs and I can tell you Pro Tools is the ONLY one that has issues with HT being on. Its just dumb. FIX this please because its getting stupid. I shouldn't have to turn of HT just to just PT 2018. I guess I need to just cut off my subscription and move on like others have done. Maybe its time to permanently move over to something else.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!!

No Problems here with HT... Mac Pro 12 Core...
Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Um... so many questions. How are you using an AU plugin in ProTools. You're using El Capitan, and you mention going into your Bios. Are you running a Hackingtosh?

Your problems are most certainly not related to Hyperthreading. Your problems are most likely because you're running a completely unorthodox machine and expecting it not to have issues.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Um... so many questions. How are you using an AU plugin in ProTools. You're using El Capitan, and you mention going into your Bios. Are you running a Hackingtosh?

Your problems are most certainly not related to Hyperthreading. Your problems are most likely because you're running a completely unorthodox machine and expecting it not to have issues.
That's the op's whole problem right there - the worst OSX Apple ever foisted upon the world combined with a Hackintosh and an au plugin (he doesn't mention what host he's using to run whatever that au plugin is inside PT). If he is indeed running a Hack why not just say F'it and run PT inside Windoze

QAPLA!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!! (Pro Tools and Hyperthreading)

^^^ what they said

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 02-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Default Re: C'mon Man!!!! (Pro Tools and Hyperthreading)

It doesn't matter what plugin I am using.

I am running El Capitan with Pro Tools 2018. I have an i7 4770k with 16gb RAM and using an M-Audio C400.

Here is the thing, it doesn't matter what plugin I use with HT enabled I get dropouts and that is just using one plugin like REFX or Omnisphere 2. Now, here is what I have found, if I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to load my plugins and just load VEP5 into Pro Tools I have no issues whatsoever.

This tells me that Pro Tools is not even close to being optimized for plugins because why do I not have dropouts if I load my plugins into VEP5 within Pro Tools? See my point?

What is so bad is whenever I have HT enabled and CPU core 4 hits around only 8% that is when the dropout occurs. But with VEP5 running the plugin withing Pro Tools, no issues whatsoever because VEP5 is using its code for pretty much everything.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's the op's whole problem right there - the worst OSX Apple ever foisted upon the world combined with a Hackintosh and an au plugin (he doesn't mention what host he's using to run whatever that au plugin is inside PT). If he is indeed running a Hack why not just say F'it and run PT inside Windoze
Because I once was a Mickey Soft guy, now I'm retired (retarded) and can say WINDOWS SUCKS BIG TIME and always has. There is so many holes within windows it looks like an M60 got a hold of it. The performance of Windows is worse than a turtle!!! Thats a fact...

Yes I am running a legal hackintosh, all purchased and what makes it legal is APPLE'S Logo sticker is on the case!!!! Read the EULA!!

Windows is too controlling with its windows itself and I've always hated windows mainly whenever I had to program on it, couldn't stand it for years but I had to it was my job. I built my first hack the day Apple switched to Intel and since then I've built many of them, so its nothing to do with my build.

Pro Tools is not optimized the best it could be because read above when I load any plugin into VEP5 within Pro Tools NO ISSUES whatsoever. This tells me PT is not optimized like it should be.

Maybe AVID should call Vienna to get a copy of their code because it flat out out performs PT plugin code...
Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboman01 View Post
Because I once was a Mickey Soft guy, now I'm retired (retarded) and can say WINDOWS SUCKS BIG TIME and always has. There is so many holes within windows it looks like an M60 got a hold of it. The performance of Windows is worse than a turtle!!! Thats a fact...

Yes I am running a legal hackintosh, all purchased and what makes it legal is APPLE'S Logo sticker is on the case!!!! Read the EULA!!

Windows is too controlling with its windows itself and I've always hated windows mainly whenever I had to program on it, couldn't stand it for years but I had to it was my job. I built my first hack the day Apple switched to Intel and since then I've built many of them, so its nothing to do with my build.

Pro Tools is not optimized the best it could be because read above when I load any plugin into VEP5 within Pro Tools NO ISSUES whatsoever. This tells me PT is not optimized like it should be.

Maybe AVID should call Vienna to get a copy of their code because it flat out out performs PT plugin code...
There is no such thing as a legal Hackintosh and having a sticker on a case means nothing. I still submit that system you're running is the problem and you can't expect for Avid to have any sympathy for you. Maybe if you ran a true Mac you'd have success.

QAPLA!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There is no such thing as a legal Hackintosh and having a sticker on a case means nothing. I still submit that system you're running is the problem and you can't expect for Avid to have any sympathy for you. Maybe if you ran a true Mac you'd have success.
You heroes know nothing!!! I have 2 MacBook Pros, one 15" and one 17"...Because I built my own Mac Pro you are saying its not legal? If this is the case then why does Apple allow installation of OS X on any supported hardware? Apple hardware is nothing more than the regular PC people have at home, Apple just puts their "Apple Logo" on it and say "Hey look we have our own product" but inside the case is a Gigabyte motherboard, Intel Processor and Corsair memory. Think of it like this, HP sells computers with Microsoft pre-installed, so does that mean I cannot install Linux on that computer? What Apple did was take an OS and try to make it their own and Apple knows in COURT they would lose the argument of people installing that OS onto any system. What the courts have decided in the past was people cannot SELL them but the court said people can install OS X onto any PC they choose because if they couldn't it would be a monopoly since Apple opened up on using Intel Processors. Trust me I know more about this than most of you do, I've been building these machines since I think it was around 2006. I've built over a 1,000 PCs, dozens of servers (mickey softs) and a few OS X Servers. Now I am not saying I know everything because I don't but don't sit here and belittle people because they choose to buy OS X and install it on the same hardware that Apple uses. I buy everything, I don't pirate nothing and I surely don't steal like some of you on here do. I've paid over $5k for the software I have from originally purchasing Pro Tools, then the upgrade now the monthly subscription. I've purchased Akai Pro Studio only to be thwarted by Akai on the current "Aka Software" to force people to buy the upgrade. I've paid what close to $500 for Omnisphere 2 then the $400 for Keyscape, thousands of dollars for ReFX and their expansions, approx $4k for my Korg Kronos X and thousands of dollars for the expansions.

So trust me I know a lot more than you think. But nobody has answered why whenever I load a plugin into Pro Tools 2018 I get dropouts but if I load VEP5 then load the plugin that way its fine, no issues at all. And please do not say its my hardware because its not. Its most likely something software side and it could be within OS X itself. So, I have install High Sierra on one of my other SSDs, which I have 10 HDDs, 4 which are SSDs and all operating systems are installed on the SSDs. I will test that out to see if it makes a difference.

I've never complained about Pro Tools except their subscription stunt so now I complain something legit and boom I get hammered for it. So the way I see it, no wonder a lot of people don't come on here because of people like some of ya who are arrogant and selfish.

Yes I Googled and EVERY single link pointing to the forums the MODERATOR always says "Turn off HT"....Its 2019 and when MODs are telling people to turn of HT that shows me Pro Tools is not setup for HT like every other DAW is. You show me one other DAW besides Pro Tools that is not setup for HT I will shut up. I have used Logic and others and they support HT perfectly.

EDIT:

One last thing I had no issue until this last update!!! So think about it...Geez instead of arguing with people maybe some should think of helping or giving advice. If you come in a post just to argue on what a person has installed maybe its best to just shut up and don't post at all!!! Very selfish people in this world and I mean very selfish!!!

Good day!!!
Old 02-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Nonsense.
A Hackintosh is legally OK. If Avid ever approves such a system is another story.
Are hackintosh Legal in the US?

And here's an other article about it

Wave-T.com