Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Default Multiple problems after upgrading

Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while.

I'm running an HD 2 PCI setup and just upgraded my PC. Having a few different weird problems I can't seem to sort. Here are the components of my new build:

Intel DH55HC MBO (HD Cards installed in the 2 slots farthest from CPU)
Intel core i7 2.93Ghz
Corsair Dominator DDR3 2X4GB
Coolermaster power supply, CPU/Heatsink
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Pro Tools 8.0 CS3

Problem 1 - Loading sessions takes a long time. Timed a couple sessions and it take over 4 minutes. Most time the screen is stuck on "Restoring tracks". This used to take 10-15 seconds on my old setup.

Problem 2 - I playback a session and after about 10 or 15 seconds I start to hear some weird alignment issues. Stop playback and I can hear audio passing through that is out of sync for about 2 seconds. Why is audio playing after I stop? Tried to narrow this down to a plug in or an aux channel and can't seem to narrow it down any. Weird!

Problem 3 - Open Recent isn't working. I open a session, save it. Go to File> Open Recent and nothing is listed. Not a big issue, just noting it in case it triggers something.

This was a new Win 7 install, after the PC was rebuilt. Re-using my Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT. I installed a few different versions of PT, and this and 8.0 seem t be the most stable. I was having issues with H/W buffer size (-6031) errors but seem to have gotten past that with this version of PT.

I've gone through the normal list of Win 7 tweaks, including running PT as admin, and various performance type tweaks (see - http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349411).

Totally confused here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My previous system (think specs are listed in my signature still) performed in PT better. Thanks!
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Multiple problems after upgrading

I'm running 8.1 on my computer with the same os as yours and not having any problems.
I would start by updating to at least 8.1, I had 8.0 cs x and they were too problematic.
I personally couldn't go past 8.1 because I started getting into major problems at anything past 8.1 again.
But 8.1 has been very solid on my machine HP Z800 and I run it almost all day long.

GD
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Went to 8.1 and still having the same issues, minus the Open Recent problem. Loading still take a long time and playback has the same weird issues. Very bizarre....and I have a session tonight and tomorrow!?!?!?!?
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

I've tried several different things with no luck so far.

I'm fairly convinced that something in my hardware is causing the problem. Only component that I can think of is my video card. I re-used my Nvidia GeForce 8600 card from my old setup. I've seen some folks post about issues with Nvidia even though Digi says thats what they support. Also, there are folks running my same mbo and processor, which is why I bought them.

So I ordered an ATI Firepro V3700 video card last night. I also ordered another mbo, just in case - GA-H55M-USB3. Overnighted them so hopefully I'll have by tomorrow afternoon.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 08-04-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm hoping the ATI card will get you going!! Good luck, wish I had some more help for you...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I'm hoping the ATI card will get you going!! Good luck, wish I had some more help for you...

Yeah, me too. Fingers crossed. Should know by end of the day. Thanks for your help thus far, much appreciated.

I need to get back down there for some green chile and the Sandia Sunrise!!
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM

I am using the same motherboard as you. I have Win 7 Pro 32 bit and only 4G of RAM. I don't have the issues you describe. I do have a different video card, though. Whenever I have heard weird noises and audio playing after I stop, it's been something like drumagog, and I'd hear an extra drum hit. I think my HD cards are in the slots closest to the CPU. I'm on HD 8.04.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks Sean. I'm using Win7 64bit, so thats one difference.

Installed the new Video card, uninstalled Nvidia software. So far looks like audio playback is working fine. Still takes a really long time load sessions! ANy ideas there.

Wondering if it's worth it to re-image this whole thing. Star over and see?
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylemusic View Post
Thanks Sean. I'm using Win7 64bit, so thats one difference.

Installed the new Video card, uninstalled Nvidia software. So far looks like audio playback is working fine. Still takes a really long time load sessions! ANy ideas there.

Wondering if it's worth it to re-image this whole thing. Star over and see?
When you create new sessions and load them, do they take a long time also? Or is it only when loading older sessions? What version of PT were the sessions created in? Have you tried loading the sessions with all plug-ins disabled to see if they still load slowly?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Ok, update.....

I narrowed the long session open time to my SoundToys Decap Plugin. As soon as I take that out of a session (disable it) it loads quickly. Pretty sure I have the latest version. No big deal as I was really questioning using it anymore anyway.

So all problems I reported so far are fixed and my system seems stable and running. Did some editing and tracking Sunday and today.

Having a weird screen issue. Maybe I should start a new post. My screen seems to flicker periodically. Haven't linked it to anything except it only seems to happen when PT is running. I've tried changing CPU config in PT, no help yet. Any ideas on this one? Thanks a bunch guys, really appreciate it!
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
www.doylemusic.com