Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Default disabling onboard soundcard

test.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: disabling onboard soundcard

In most cases you can disable it in the BIOS setup.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 PM

thanks for replying, Mozepy. my question is, should it be necessary and is it advisable? i'd like to know what the general experience is after installing the MBox.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:15 PM

If your system works fine with the onboard sound enabled..why bother ?
You can always create a second "user hardware profile" that does not have the system audio enabled.

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE]
If your system works fine with the onboard sound enabled..why bother ?

It isn't working fine though. I like to use Audacity sometimes for convenience and I'm not able to monitor through the MBox. Similarly with videos from the web.

I'm sure that if this a common problem then there is a simple answer. Do most MBox users have to disable their onboard soundcard?

Maybe it's a quirk of Audacity, or maybe I should uninstall that and then reinstall for it to recognise the MBox.

[QUOTE]
You can always create a second "user hardware profile" that does not have the system audio enabled.

oh really? can you have different BIOS setups for different users? that would be a good solution.

Quote:
good luck,
thanks, man.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not able to monitor through the MBox.
>>Did you do an in depth forum search for "wavedriver" ??
[QUOTE]
can you have different BIOS setups for different users? that would be a good solution.
[QUOTE]

>> That isn't in the BIOS. System Properties>Hardware>Hardware Profiles.
You can enable/disable sound, networking, etc...

happy tooling

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 AM

I don't have a FireWire interface so I don't know for sure what is best for you. In any case where you have a sound card I would always recommend disabling the onboard sound or removing your consumer card if you have one.

If you are comfortable with changing BIOS settings you can try it and re-enable it later. The worst thing that would happen is you would have to reinstall the sound driver. If anything worse than that happened then there was already something wrong with your hardware or the BIOS (maybe needs an update). If you are uncomfortable you can call your PC manufacturer's tech support and have them walk you through it.

Disabling devices in the hardware manager sometimes works but not always.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 PM

i don't know if i should even think about doing this, and should be grateful for some advice.
i'm very new to this game, and have just invested in an MBox2. i'm using Windows XP and most applications recognise the MBox although i've noticed that Audacity doesn't. it doesn't even feature in Preferences. also when viewing videos from the web they are picked up by the onboard soundcard.

i have altered my PC control panel playback and record settings to the MBox. it has been suggested to me that i disable the AC97 via BIOS but i'm reluctant to do so without further advice.

any help would be gratefully received.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:11 PM

i don't know if i should even think about doing this, and should be grateful for some advice.

i'm very new to this game, and have just invested in an MBox2. i'm using Windows XP and most applications recognise the MBox although i've noticed that Audacity doesn't. it doesn't even feature in Preferences. also when viewing videos from the web they are picked up by the onboard soundcard.

i have altered my PC control panel playback and record settings to the MBox. it has been suggested to me that i disable the AC97 via BIOS but i'm reluctant to do so without further advice.

any help would be gratefully received.