Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 AM

Default is RAID still a problem with PT and why?

Hi all,
just wondering if and why RAID cannot function with PT as stated in the troubleshooting guide. RAID is becoming an industry standard, or is it not?
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: is RAID still a problem with PT and why?

Raid introduces many more variables into the file i/o stream.

In the server market, raid has been a standard for years.

Why don't you try it and report back your findings?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM

Hi there,
I use RAID on my laptop. I've got two hard discs and use RAID to combine them to one big 160 GB hard disc. During work with PTLE I did not recognized any severe failures. On the other hand I have no comparison to a system without it. But maybe it causes my problems during "bounce to disk". I have not found the reason, yet.

Regards

Ford Prefect

Old 02-08-2007, 12:44 PM

I have a Revo64 raid card running RAID 5 on 3 250gb samsung spinpoint drives.
Protools LE seems to work fine I guess because the Protools sees it as a normal single drive through the card.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:33 PM

the main problem is when when people use software RAID or cheep RAID cards that require the cpu to do much of the processing or dont have enough memory which includes most onboard RAID controllers.

a good hardware controller should be transperent to the OS and programs.
that said with being limited to 32 or 48 tracks there is realy no need for more than one drive.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM

All I can say is, that after uninstalling my RAID stripe array, PTLE does NOT work anymore! My problem in the first place was an assertion error after "bounce to disc". As I read in different threads, the RAID-array could have been the problem. So I killed it and after 2 days of installation Windows and PTLE, I got even a bigger problem: The H/W buffer size couldn't be big enough. Even with 1048 samples PT stopped playback after 5-10 sec. With 2096 samples I got problems with the CPU. With the stripe array playback and recording at even 256 samples was no problem! So I asked and asked and finally found the reasons for my new problems: 2 slow HDDs (only 5400 rpm) and only 1GB of RAM.
So, I guess a stripe array could help people with two slow HDDs.

As I am a perfectionist I do not reinstall the stripe array and go and bye me a faster HDD an 2 GB of RAM. If no changes occur after that investment ($400) , I take PTLE and shoot it to the moon!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.