Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Default upgrading to hd

i have a question..( duh thats why im posting right...lol) i was planning on upgrading to hd or tdm (basically i want the next step up from digi 001 which would be the least expensive upgrade) i currently use le 6.4 001 mac g4 when getting the hd or tdm rig what all is needed to be purchased i already saw the products but still not to clear on exactly what all will need to be purchased (about to get a small biz loan) i saw the cards and the interfaces will i need both ? (sounds dumb but i really dont know) would anyone be able to guide me to know what all ill need to get going?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: upgrading to hd

A Pro Tools|HD system requires a minimum of one HD Core card and one HD interface:
www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/hd
Old 05-28-2006, 08:42 PM

?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:51 PM

!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-28-2006, 09:02 PM

sorry jsut trying to add the thread to my area sorry for the question mark and the ! hahah so what would be the next step up from le?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:15 PM

yes! i was joking...

you need both a card and an interface -- 192 or 96.

DIGI provided you with a link to the compatibility documents page. read it!

!!
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 05-29-2006, 12:24 PM

say man....why you being an ass???? i saw what they sent my 2nd question was which is cheaper tdm.....or hd??? whats the better value???? man some people get all bent outta shape over nuthin dumbass
Old 05-29-2006, 01:53 PM

whoa, hold on there pardner! i ain't bein' no ass.

you said, 'what is the next step up from LE' which i thought you and Digi answered : HD if you were really askin'my 2nd question was which is cheaper tdm.....or hd??? whats the better value????' then ask that directly. i, for one, did not understand that that is what you were asking. you never stated that read the compato docs. so, it looked to me that once you read that, you had your question answered.

a'ight?

my opinion is that a (legacy) TDM system will come cheaply, but is a dead end in terms of expandibility, upgrading, plug-in availaibility and support. furthermore, you will get far more mileage out of HD rig in terms of all the added benefits, included more raw power. in a sense, it is a step up from LE, but a brief and shallow one.

an LE rig on a big fast computer may now offer more than a MIX ++ system. i personally would not recommend buying one now. a suped-up LE might be better depending on your needs. that said, if i had a MIX system still, i might hang on to it -- if that was what my businees was telling me. i was faced with the decision to upgrade from MIX to HD about 2 or 3 years ago and i am glad that i did make the upgrade. i also have an LE system that my asst's weork on and i occaisionally work on. frankly, a robust HD and a robust LE are two different leagues. ...what you chose depends on what your business can bear.

do you need ADC? do you need the low latency of TDM/HD/ACCELL plug-ins? do you need a better sounding interface? or do you need better front end, like pre's and converters and microphones.

if it is mixing that you do., look at an HD. if it is more tracking, then look at other things in your studio.

i love the power that an HD on a dual 2.5 gig and 6.5 gig of RAM gives me. ...but i do confess to bumping into its ceiling. ...and don't relish buying an expansion chassis.

hope that helps.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 05-29-2006, 04:35 PM

i apologize for not being clear on my question to where someone else would understand, but the whole (read it ! ) comment was not called for i ask my questions here because a forum is to get help from people that already have , use and understand diff systems an opinion from someone who already has them is the best form of shopping around instead of going to the dealer who is just trying to sell you something. now

what im really intersted in is getting more tracks, i currently have access to 32 but im going to need more tracks the more the better but i dont want to shell out too much more just to get more tracks so....basically my upgrading would be relying on getting more tracks. all that other stuff is cool but my main concern is more tracks.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM

Do you need higher sample rates? 96k, 192 ok 188. whatever? If you will NEVER be working over 48k, you could find a used TDM on the cheap. Be aware that TDM is no longer supported. Which means no new PT upgrades, and you are stuck with old plug ins VI and so forth. So, depending on the TDM system you get, will dictate the amount of tracks you can use. With a full blown HD3 system you can get 192 tracks!! And 96 inputs and outputs. The accel cards have MORE DSP than the TDM cards. So....it all depends on what you need and how much casholla you have to burn..

HTH

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com