Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Default Re: OK, so here's a serious question for Avid regarding "openness"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Thanks for the great comments in this thread. The answer is we are very serious about being open. I am interested in learning more about the kind of tools you would want to see from us and/or third parties for Eleven Rack.

Can you give me some specifics?
Look at the Pro Tools IdeaScale in the Eleven Rack section. All kinds of suggestions there.
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...ussionID=11273
#1 for most people is a Standalone Editor.

I would love to see the ability to load IR's, but not just load them, but also stack and mix them like you can with Redwirez MixIR2

more metal style amps are a given for me (5150/6505, Herbert and Hagen, ect...) and a Mesa 4X12 cab - if we had the ability to load IR's then Avid could focus on Effects and Amps and leave the cabs as they are.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Along with the ideascale, a good place to look is at any competition Avid may have with similar products.

I think a lot of thoughts/ideas come from people using all kinds of equipment from different companies. Now if one company could 'roll it into one' then there would be no competition, at least until something totally new came along.

Granted, easier said than done...but perhaps food for thought.

A standalone editor is arguably the hottest topic for 11R users though.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Definitely agree with benoni. Those are the top requests.

Mostly for me, I just want more of eleven in general. Your designers and algorithm builders like chris have done an incredible job. Sure there is another unit on the market that provides a lot more options, but what you guys have designed sounds the absolute best to me. When it comes to placing a mic in front of an amp in real life, you guys are the only one's who have convinced me a digital simulation can be equally as good and convincing and the hundred other benefits to using this just takes it over the top.

So basically, as far as openness, I just want to see more development and activity surrounding this unit from avid. Obviously everything takes time and it is a product that was probably intended to point more people towards the pro tools platform, but i think we all are so passionate because it just sounds so good. Your team is quite remarkable and talented and it would be a shame if nothing more ever came from them when i'm not convinced anyone else will be able to do it!

I honestly have no clue on the sales and how well the unit has done and if there's the budget to continue providing big enhancements, but as i said, it would be a shame if the talents of your team aren't continued to be used for expanding the 11R.

Thanks for listening to us. That goes a long way!

Ted
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Max, welcome to the party

Nr.1 - Stand Alone Editor.

Nr.2 - Dedicated pedal board.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great comments in this thread. The answer is we are very serious about being open. I am interested in learning more about the kind of tools you would want to see from us and/or third parties for Eleven Rack.

Can you give me some specifics?
To be taken seriously in the marketplace (pro to consumer) the Eleven Rack must have it's own OEM floor pedal in the same color trim and style. It has to be an Avid brand Eleven Rack Floor Pedal.

There's no way the Eleven Rack becomes famous and profitable without its own floor pedal. The release of the floor pedal could coincide with a new expansion pack/new features.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Max, like some of the guys on here have already mentioned, we appreciate you joining in the exchange. I apologize in advance if this becomes an essay, unfortunately, I've been given a soapbox so I feel obligated to stand on it.

I don't think a single person on here would disagree that Eleven Rack is an awesome piece, with a versatile selection of amp simulations, great sounding effects, outstanding I/O options, and arguably the best hardware/software integration within this paradigm.

In my opinion (for what it's worth, which may not be much) most of the perceived shortcomings in Eleven Rack seem to be small oversights that could be rectified with minor tweaks to the firmware. Many of these are listed on ideascale, and are purely functional improvements without new additional features; seamless patch switching, delay spillover, clip indication, amp/cab block separation, expression pedal auto-engage, etc.

These are all elements that would tighten up the nuts and bolts, and improve the experience when using Eleven Rack in a live situation. When using Eleven Rack strictly as a recording interface, most of these are irrelevant as players don't often futz with this stuff while recording takes...but it's supposed to be a complete all-in-one solution, right? The original 11r videos definitely touted it as such, they were even a bit misleading in that (and I'm paraphrasing here) "the XLR's always use cabinet simulation while the 1/4" connections are configurable."

Then there is the issue of expansion. In this case, more is good. I actually find it kind of funny that Eleven Rack is relatively limited in its effect selection. I say relative because competing products (Pod HD Pro, AxeFX Standard, etc) seem to have significantly expanded effect selection with multitap delays, pitch shifting, synthesizers, etc. The reason I find it funny, is that Avid has an extraordinary effect selection within ProTools! Even some of the new features included with ERXP are simply ported TDM/RTAS plugins! Dyn3, EQ3, MultiChorus and the stereo Delay are almost identical to their software counterparts! Sure, anything new in this department could warrant a paid upgrade in an ERXP2.

I'm gonna wrap this up before it becomes a novel. For the TL;DR guys...just tighten up the nuts and bolts of this thing so it's just slightly more useful in live situations, where using ProTools and plugins are not an option.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
To be taken seriously in the marketplace (pro to consumer) the Eleven Rack must have it's own OEM floor pedal in the same color trim and style. It has to be an Avid brand Eleven Rack Floor Pedal.

There's no way the Eleven Rack becomes famous and profitable without its own floor pedal. The release of the floor pedal could coincide with a new expansion pack/new features.
And not just that with it's own pedalboard we would probably see the end of the 2-way communication problems between the floorboard and the 11R - just ask the guys at Eureka Sound (makers of the 11prom) - now that would really be something. And probably the vibrato being sent on different #CCs as well according to the amp model being used.

A hi/lo pass filter on the amp block freeing up more options for Para EQ or more para EQ bands. As it stands now some people are using two Para EQ blocks to sculpt the sound. If we had unlimited blocks that wouldn't be a problem.

And I have to second Benoni as a progressing metal player more metal amps ...

And I have to say a $250 upgrade offer from PT8LE to Pro-Tools X.

A stand-alone editor, which I would be prepared to pay a nominal fee for the priviledge.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 PM

As far as the stand alone editor goes, since the 11r already supports ASIO, the editor should support the VST standard so it can be used effectively in other DAWs.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the great feedback. A little background for those that don't know me - I am a guitarist by trade and was on the road for 11 years touring with a number of bands. I also taught guitar full-time while in school (if you're interested, I have some rough stuff on SoundCloud- but please don't be mean ).

I check out ideascale almost everyday and want many of the same things you do. And while we have to balance the work on Eleven with Pro Tools and our other I/O, I am committed to Eleven and Eleven rack development for the long haul.

What I am really interested in is making sure we're not missing anything that's not on ideascale, particularly as it pertains to opening things up in ways we may not have thought of or planned for, so please keep the comments coming!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback. A little background for those that don't know me - I am a guitarist by trade and was on the road for 11 years touring with a number of bands. I also taught guitar full-time while in school (if you're interested, I have some rough stuff on SoundCloud- but please don't be mean ).

I check out ideascale almost everyday and want many of the same things you do. And while we have to balance the work on Eleven with Pro Tools and our other I/O, I am committed to Eleven and Eleven rack development for the long haul.

What I am really interested in is making sure we're not missing anything that's not on ideascale, particularly as it pertains to opening things up in ways we may not have thought of or planned for.
I am glad to see you posting here as the silence from Avid has been deafening. It's frustrating as a customer to feel like our concerns and issues are being ignored. It seems pointless to host something like ideascale, only to seemingly ignore the suggestions on it. Perhaps some aren't feasible or go against a company strategic direction, but that should be communicated to your customer base. Instead, we get no feedback and I've stopped even looking at it since it seems like a fruitless exercise. Frankly I'm real close to selling my 11R and moving on and that's a shame because I love an awful lot of things about it.