Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Default Output -12db

Hey guys, hopefully this is a simple question.

I am delivering a video file. The client asked for a couple of things:

- that the audio level output be set to -12db. The video is fully mixed. As far as setting to -12db, though, should I just put an L2 Limiter on the master bus and set the output to -12dB (and leave the Threshold at 0)? When I do that, it sounds a bit quiet overall.

- that the video be YUV 4:2:2 ApplePro Res 422 HQ. Is this something that ProTools can output (I don't think that this is the format that I received the video from the picture editor), or will I need to run a conversion on it? (I do have MPEG Stream Clip which can hopefully convert.)

- Also, when I bounce out my video, the audio is 16-bit instead of 24-bit. I cannot seem to find a setting to make it 24. Does anyone know how to bounce video at 24-bit audio?

Thanks!

Last edited by jgiannis; 10-19-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Output -12db

You probably need some hands-on help with someone used to a post production workflow.

Your first question has more meaning and spec behind it than you’ve understood.

Uprezing a low quality picture will make a very poor quality result. If they want 422HQ, (which is an online codec) you should ask for that from editorial to replace your picture. Your files will be massive in size. Outputting “high” quality picture re-rerendered from low quality sources will just look bad and is probably not the actual request.

Your 3rd question is in the codec settings for QuickTime output (which goes hand in hand with the video codec setup chosen)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You probably need some hands-on help with someone used to a post production workflow.

Your first question has more meaning and spec behind it than you’ve understood.

Uprezing a low quality picture will make a very poor quality result. If they want 422HQ, (which is an online codec) you should ask for that from editorial to replace your picture. Your files will be massive in size. Outputting “high” quality picture re-rerendered from low quality sources will just look bad and is probably not the actual request.

Your 3rd question is in the codec settings for QuickTime output (which goes hand in hand with the video codec setup chosen)

I can't tell if you're trying to help or trying to be condescending, but it comes off as the latter.

- Yes, I posted my first question because I need understanding. I understand that I didn't understand, hence why I asked in the first place. Sheesh. Considering your snarky reply, I am beginning to understand that you also do not understand.

- Oh my gosh, yes, everybody knows the flaws in up-rezing. Sometimes that's just what needs to be done. Sometimes you need to move forwards, not backwards. Obviously it would be best if the video editor provided the best specs, as per the requirements. But have you ever heard of "fix it in post"? Obviously the term "fix" shouldn't even need to be used in the pipeline, but that's life. Anyway, I'll tell you something that even you didn't know, which I found out after finding that your reply to my post was merely click-bait. That is, if you hold down CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND when pressing on BOUNCE TO QUICKTIME, you get more options. Now, I can export my video in the proper codec (though I still can't get it to 48k). Is it an up-rez? Yes. Is it ideal? No. Does everyone already know that? Yes. But is it something that simply needs to be done? Yes. So why didn't you just say that? Because that's just how people are sometimes.

- I am still searching for a way to get it to have 48k audio. I am reading that Pro Tools (or maybe Pro Tools 10 and earlier) cannot do 48k. But it anyone can correct me, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks to those who reply with actual useful information.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Good luck.

Thank you.

For those who else might run into this issue, a couple of things I noticed:

- I was on PT10 and it would not let me change the QT bounce to 24-bit. 16-bit was the max it would go. Though I was able to use the CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND function to change other settings, including the video codec to Apple Pro Res (among many others).

- In PT10, selecting 16-bit audio and up-rezing the picture to Apple Pro Res 422 HQ produced great results. The only problem was that I needed 24-bit audio, which I couldn't get. But that problem was specific to my client's needs.

- I opened the same project in PT11 and it DID allow me to use 24-bit (exactly as seen in BScout images above, which is probably PT11 or PT12). Additionally, the CONTROL+OPTION+COMMAND function was no longer bringing up other options. But that's okay because those other options were baked into the typical settings-box, so it seems like you no longer need to know the secret; the options are right up front (again, see the images above).

- In PT11, I used 24-bit audio and up-rezed to Apple Pro Res 422 HQ. However, this time the picture quality looked horrible (probably the results BScout mentioned in his first reply).

- Converting bounced QTs with MPEG Streamclip did not help. It didn't ruin anything by any means, but in the end, long-story-short, I could not get a video to have both Apple Pro Res 422 HQ (without sever degradation) AND 24-bit audio. I ended up having to choose: (a) give them the PRO RES at 16-bit (which looked great), or give them the 24-bit that's not PRO RES.