Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-15-2018, 11:06 AM

Default PT 10 - Burn-In Fades without Renaming

Hi.

Is it possible to:

(1) burn in the fades that are applied to clips, while
(2) retaining the names of the clips?

Here's the problem I'm having:

My PT session has hundreds of tiny clip that I cut from a much larger raw audio file. I individually named each one of these clips (very tedious and lengthy procedure).

I want to export these clips as individual files (which I do with CMD+SHIFT+K). But I first want to apply a small fade in/out to the beginning and end of each clip (which I do with CMD+F).

The problem is that the fades don't export with the CMD+K function. I bring them back in and compare to the original clips, and the fade clearly did not burn in.

So then I try consolidating my clips first (which I do with OPTN+SHIFT+3), but it (a) merges all of my hundreds of clips into one huge file, and (b) loses all of the naming that I did.

Is it possible to:

(1) burn in the fades that are applied to clips, while
(2) retaining the names of the clips?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Default Re: PT 10 - Burn-In Fades without Renaming

No. But you could automate the process with something like Keyboard Maestro/Batch Commander.
Select clip, rename dialogue window, copy name, add suffix to existing name, enter, consolidate, rename dialogue, rename (from copied name), enter

Selecting a clip will select the fades too so that struggle is taken care of.

After that is all done, you could then just export all the new clips.

If you want to make this kind of "non-destructive", duplicate all your tracks to a new playlist first (so all this work will happen on the new playlist but the original playlist still exists)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I didn't think it was possible.

I have batch commander, but to be honest, I was looking for a simpler procedure.

When I export my clips (SHIFT+CMD+K), there's a dialogue box that asks me about the parameters that I want (bit rate, sample rate, stereo/mono, etc). There's also a check-box asking me if I want to Enforce Avid Media Compatibility. That's actually the root of my issue.

I want to cut all my clips in slip mode (i.e., sample-based editing). But I want to export my clips for video editors (i.e., frame-based editing), so therefore I choose the "Enforce Avid Media Compatibility" button. This button works like a charm (it adds a unique duration of silence to the end of each clip, such that each clip is cut to the nearest frame).

The only problem is that I would love to add a small fade to each clip BEFORE it adds the silence. Without the fade, there's a sudden drop in the waveform at the point where the silence is added (albeit a tiny drop, since the noise floor is so low, but it's there).

In essence, the process should be like this:

1. Cut each clip in slip mode.
2. Name each clip after cutting.
3. Apply fade (non-destructively preferred)
4. Export clips with "Enforce Avid Media Compatibility" while burning-in the fade (i.e., the fade is burned into the exported files, but not burned into the PT session clips).

If anyone can think of a reasonable workaround, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:52 AM

IIRC, when you export files, it just exports the raw file, not anything that's been done to it real-time like volume automation, and of course, no real-time effects, you would have to use AudioSuite plug-in effects to make them part of the file. Not sure about Clip Gain.

Try this: Make your edits and apply your fades. Then highlight all the clips and use an AudioSuite plug-in, like Gain, with parameters that do nothing to change the clips and set it to Clip by Clip. Process. The fades should now be part of the clips. Now, with the clips still highlighted, go to the Clips List and use the Rename command.

If that doesn't work, once you've got the clips separated and the fades applied, change the name of the track to what you want the clips to be named and then apply the AudioSuite plug-in. The names of the clips should include the name of the track and be sequentially numbered.

IIRC, there were one or two versions of PT that, when an AudioSuite plug-in was set to clip by clip the plug-in wouldn't consolidate fades into the clip because fades are considered a separate region/clip and, whatever version or versions of PT, the AS plug-ins looked at the fades that way instead of considering the fades part of the clip. AFAIK, this was fixed in subsequent releases. Not in front of PT right now to check, sorry.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
When I export my clips (SHIFT+CMD+K), there's a dialogue box that asks me about the parameters that I want (bit rate, sample rate, stereo/mono, etc). There's also a check-box asking me if I want to Enforce Avid Media Compatibility. That's actually the root of my issue.

I want to cut all my clips in slip mode (i.e., sample-based editing). But I want to export my clips for video editors (i.e., frame-based editing), so therefore I choose the "Enforce Avid Media Compatibility" button. This button works like a charm (it adds a unique duration of silence to the end of each clip, such that each clip is cut to the nearest frame).

The only problem is that I would love to add a small fade to each clip BEFORE it adds the silence. Without the fade, there's a sudden drop in the waveform at the point where the silence is added (albeit a tiny drop, since the noise floor is so low, but it's there).
The traditional way to do this is edit your clips, name them, apply your fades, and then go to File > Export > "Selected Tracks as New AAF/OMF" and select Avid Media Compatibility there.

I don't know any video editor who wants to re-spot clips. Having editable fades is useful for both video editors and re-recording mixers. The fades transfer.

Sending an AAF/OMF is also a whole lot easier to work.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks guys.

I think I'm just gonna have to live with the no-fades. But I appreciate your suggestions, and will explain why they're not good for my situation.

After cutting my clips and naming them, if I apply my fade (which is only about 10 ms, literally just to keep the file clean, as opposed to hear the fade), the only way(s) I find to burn in my fades are (1) consolidate, or (2) audio suite (such as Duplicate), but selecting "clip by clip" doesn't burn in the fades. Only "continuous region" burns in the fade, which is basically identical to "consolidate."

As for the OMF/AAF option, I'm not at that phase yet. Right now, there is no picture. There is only audio. The video editor will be using Adobe Premiere to import my audio (wave files, mono, 24-bit, 48k) and creating a video from drawings. Down the line, it will be the video editor who will return the picture/audio project to me via AAF for audio cleanup. But, before we get to that point, I want the audio that I provide (in the initial phase) to be frame-based, with tiny fades at the end for cleanliness. Providing sample-based audio causes hiccups in the pipeline (which I did not go into full detail about; just take my word for it). The simplest remedy will be for me to export my audio with the SHIFT+CMD+K option and apply the Enforce Avid Media Compatibility here (rather than on an AAF/OMF). It will work. I just wish that I could get tiny fades on it first, before using the "Enforce" option.

But thanks again for all of the brainstorming!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:35 AM

How about this then. Get your Clips the way you want, with fades, in the place on the Timeline you want them. Duplicate the track and consolidate the duped Track, then rename the Track with the name you want the Clips to have. Now, put the Edit Window in Grid Mode and put the Grid in Clips and Markers mode. Now use the Separate at Grid command and the consolidated Track will be separated at the same place as the Clips in the first Track and the Clips should have the names of the Track and be numbered sequentially.

Be aware that any other audio under the two Tracks will also be separated the same place.

Also, I wasn't aware that making an AAF/OMF file in Pro Tools required there to be a video as well as audio.
SonoBus
Old 03-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Also, I wasn't aware that making an AAF/OMF file in Pro Tools required there to be a video as well as audio.
It isn’t. (That’s true for any program’s AAF or OMF export.)

I’m still unclear why that standard workflow wouldn’t work.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 PM

I just tried the Clip By Clip AudioSuite Gain method I mentioned above. Works fine in 2018.3.0, the fades become part of the new clip. As I said, there was one or more versions where the Fade would be treated as a separate region when using AudioSuite in Clip By Clip.
SonoBus
Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM

If all you need to do is create sequentially-named files that have already been exported, then http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/ is your app.

Invaluable for audio people.

As a complete workflow for your situation I would learn QuicKeys, and set up a macro something like:
a. Begin Repeat Loop (prompt for user numeric count)
b. Tab > Shift+Tab > Shift+Option+3 (action directed to Pro Tools with Tab>Transient disabled)
c. End Repeat Loop

Then export all clips as files with your Avid compatibility checked. Then rename all the files with ABetterFinderRename.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 03-18-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added Info